Glenn Beck + Cone Mills = $129 jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenn Beck + Cone Mills = $129 jeans

No truth to the rumor that an Obama conspiracy diagram comes chain stitched to every pair.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2012/10/15/...om-1791-denim/

Can I buy them with gold bars?

Seriously though, does 'Made in America' really mean all that much when the machines they're using are most likely foreign? You're not buying a table, so I'm dubious to what 'American craftsmanship' really goes into clothing.

Comment

Wow any chance for a liberal to take a political jab. The jeans are made here without union labor, which is pretty cool. I believe Cone Mills is here in NC, so I am all for supporting local businesses.

@scrambledpotato That is a brought statement to make about the machinery. While I don't know where the machines are made I can assure you that the textile business in NC goes back a very long way and to see it make a comeback is pretty cool, and not worth such a nitpick.

Comment

Does supporting American workers who are working said machines mean nothing? I could care less about the partisan politics involved, but I do appreciate things that are sourced and assembled in the U.S. I don't see it as buying 'craftsmanship', but moreso supporting local, in a global sense of the word. Even if it were a table, were all of the tools made in the U.S.?! If not, even if the wood and the carpenter are American, what a rip....

Comment

@hornsup84 well said. This speaks to our entitlement society. We are given so much and yet want more.

The NC textile industry was all but extinct when companies sent textile production to China. It is great that more companies are using American textile mills.

Comment

Haha, this smells like a post that'll get shut down pretty quick.

Comment

@bremersm -- Love my Cone Mills denim from Bonobos, great pair of jeans, even if not selvage.

@LakeCharles -- Agreed hah, just hard to not defend companies that are trying to do something right. Guaranteed I'm fine with people who think Glenn Beck is a schmuck and/or doing this for all the wrong reasons, but if it brings about jobs for people in NC/Kentucky, is it really a bad result?

Comment

@hornsup84 why must we always think that people do things for bad reasons and good for Glen to speak his mind. It is people like him on the right and Chris Matthews on the left that make this country great.

Comment

Doubt they are cut as slim as Bonobos/LEC American-made jeans. Look like they are crafted for heavier-set men.

Comment

@bremersm -- That's fair, I typically try to keep things politics-neutral in my life (facebook, twitter and "news" sources politicize things enough as is). People are entitled to their opinions, both political and otherwise, but regardless of what side things come from, I think that if it's doing something good (which again, can be debatable, but in this instance I'd find it difficult to argue US jobs are a bad thing), one shouldn't politicize unnecessarily.

Comment

Anything that keeps Cone MIlls going strong is great in my opinion, but I'll stick with my Baldwins and 3sixteens for denim.

Comment

The point of Made in the USA is that it brings in taxes to the US on goods, sales, etc., as well as less importing, and very importantly more jobs here in the US.

The more Made in the USA choices, the better.

Comment

@bremmersm I never meant it being "made in america' being a good/bad thing; I can't imagine a situation when it wouldn't be a good thing. I'm curious as to how much craftmanship can go into an article of clothing considering it's mostly made with machines, correct?

I'm not asking this question for a political reason, I'm asking it because I legitimately don't know what kind of skill goes into making an article of clothing like jeans.

Comment

It would be interesting to see if the Glenn Beck types would actually buy a $130 pair of US-made jeans.

The Glenn Beck fans I know have also defended the outsourcing of US manufacturing jobs as "good corporate policy" or "sound business judgment," (anything to cut costs/boost profits/punish the unions) and tend to buy cheap, mass-produced, foreign-made goods and complain about anything more expensive (though in fairness, the latter trait is virtually universal to American consumers).

Ben

Comment

@BenR way to generalize. I am a Glen Beck fan and do not fall into your stereotype.

Comment

Working...
                              X