Wedding - Suit with Patterned shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding - Suit with Patterned shirt

So I have a couple of weddings in the next two weeks. One is a friend of my girlfriend's, the other is an out-of-town one for college friends that I will be attending solo due to travel being too pricy for two. Anyways, I was recently gifted the following shirt:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=56730&vid=1&pid=231416&scid=2314160 02

and while I like it, I am not sure if it's wedding appropriate? I would either wear it with a navy suit or a charcoal grey (leaning towards the latter), and was thinking of wearing a blue/navy silk knit tie with it. Neither wedding is black-tie or anything, but considering I am usually just wearing a white shirt under my suits to these things, transitioning to something like this felt like a bit much.

One other thought: I return the shirt and swap it for this one:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=56730&vid=1&pid=231519&scid=2315190 12

Would that be a little more versatile for wearing to work, weddings, etc. (Edit: just noticed that it's a button-down collar, not sure if that would be worth it). Any input would be appreciated.

Personally, I'd say both are a bit loud to wear to a wedding, even paired with a tie. While I like dressing well at weddings, I generally don't go too crazy because you don't want to draw any focus to you as compared with why everyone is there (i.e., the bride and the groom... and the bridesmaids ).

Comment

Have you put it on with the suit? The picture on the BR site makes it look loud, but such a small part will be showing while you have your jacket on, that I doubt it will stand out, especially with a subdued tie.

On the other hand, if you are questioning it, don't wear it. No sense in sitting through the wedding, thinking about your shirt.

Comment

I tried it on, and it looks pretty good. At the store I went to they had it paired with a charcoal grey suit so I knew it would work. However, I've just been on the fence about whether or not it's too loud. I'm still fairly young, and a lot of people I go to weddings with eschew the suits and just wear shirts and ties, but I usually try to dress a little nicer. I want to look nice and not boring, but I also don't want to be too out there. It might be a game-time decision, and I'll probably have a crisp white shirt ready to go as well.

Comment

I'd respectfully disagree. While they are both statements, I think if paired with a dark charcoal or navy suite and a dark-ish tie they are absolutely wedding appropriate. If you can't wear something fun to a wedding, where can you wear it? Certainly done in good taste and appropriateness of course.

Unless the shirt is to be worn mostly without a tie or suit I'd go with the non button down collar. Personal taste though as some people can make the BD collar look good with a tie.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I'm with Sigtweed on this one. Group think seems to dictate that you wear a solid white or blue shirt with shepherd's check tie (I posted at SF and AAAF during the summer requesting advice and that is the advice they kept giving me). I ended up going with something a bit more fun (a very light blue check shirt with a slim tie with black, maroon/purple, and blue running through it). I was easily one of the better looks guys there, but then again, the bar was set pretty low by the low quality, unimaginative solid shirts from Macy's (many with a horrible sheen) and equally cheap looking striped ties with too many color and that very cheap looking silk (or whatever they make those out of).

I would have look great with what they recommended, but I was there to dance up a storm, flirt with available women and have fun with the bride and groom. My outfit reflected that.

As for what I'd recommend you do, I'm kinda with Sigtweed. I think those shirts you picked out would work. For a wedding, especially if you're wearing a tie, I'd try to find a non-button-down collar. Personally, if I were you, I'd prefer a navy or red gingham over the ones you posted (though I like those as well). BR has some though they appear limited, and I'm not sure I'm a fan of the contrast outlining on the pattern. See here: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=67018&vid=1&pid=407756002

If you want to pursue the gingham route, I'd suggest checking places like JCrew, LE, LEC, JCP, Kohl's, H&M, GAP, and maybe Old Navy. Those are the stores you seem to be able to find pretty much anywhere.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Thanks guys. I wore a navy gingham shirt with a solid yellow tie with my navy suit at the last wedding I went to and got a lot of compliments, so I know the power of gingham. I do need to get more colors, as all I really have are navy and a J. Crew purple one that looks great with the blazer from J. Crew that Joe loves to post about. I think I'll give it a go, now I just need to figure out which wedding it will be better received at, but that's something I can (hopefully) do on my own.

Comment

Both of these shirts are rather tasteless, and it would be the height of bad taste to pair them with any type of suit. Your attire should be somewhat muted and conservative to reflect your respect for the bride and groom. A wedding is an occasion where the focus of attention should not be you, and an attempt to appear edgy takes one into the realm of bad taste.

Comment

That's only true if the bride and groom are muted and conservative.

And I've never been to a wedding where an attendee with 10 sq inches of red showing under his suit would draw attention from the bride and groom.

Comment

^ this. I can see how it might be taken as a bit boisterous when the jacket comes off, yet I still don't see a problem. The bride and the groom are going to be glad you're there to celebrate with them, not worrying how you look unless you're grossly under or over dresses. This look is neither. Further, everyone will know who the bride and groom are and throughout the wedding reception will have their head on a swivel looking for them, not you.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Interesting. While I certainly agree with the spirit of what you're saying bruschetta, those are some pretty strong statements. But, well informed disagreements and opinions are part of what make this board great.

Comment

Sigtweed Corduroy, I disagree with your view that my statements were strong. On the contrary, I would consider the pairing of a bright red checked shirt with a suit at a formal occasion to be a strong statement. What I wrote reflects established wedding style etiquette.

A time may come when it is the norm to wear bright, attention-grabbing outfits to weddings, but we're not there yet. Members who are new to style (and especially traditional style) should know that there are standards and expectations when it comes to formal events. It is necessary to have a good working knowledge of traditional practice before you break the rules.

Comment

I think Bruschetta and I are on the same page, but at different strengths of opinion, although I'm more toward his side than everyone else. A big factor that hasn't been discussed is how formal of a wedding it is... if you'll be the only one wearing a suit, you'll probably be less likely to offend with louder attire. If the wedding party will be wearing formalwear of any sort, or its expected that a majority of people will be in business attire, then I stick to Bruschetta/my guns.

Comment

Agree with hornsup84.

Weddings are trending more toward outdoor/casual affairs and away from formal black tie affairs. I don't think I've ever received a wedding invitation that says "black tie". My wife and I are at the age now where all our friends are getting married. I even had one bride tell me not to wear a suit to hers (which, of course, I did anyway). I went to four weddings this year and they were all outside. Mixing in a patterned dress shirt doesn't seem like that big an offense, especially at an outdoor function.

Comment

Brushetta...

Fair points and well taken. Especially with regards to your point about those "new to style" so to speak.

What I was getting at was that while I agree with your points about not wanting to, in any way, take attention away from the bride, groom, and occasion, I disagreed with the notion that wearing anything other than a plain white shirt and simple tie was "the height of bad taste". In my opinion, one can display a little bit of color and personality while still remaining formal and in good taste. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X