Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackets to wear at Work - Suggestions?

Hello,

I work for a giant corporation and the office attire for men is dress pants, dress shoes and a dress shirt. No one wears ties and only the CEO wears a suit/tie daily.

Its usually pretty cold in the office( A/C on full blast) and i like to wear jackets to stay warm, I was wondering what suggestions you guys had that would go well with dress pants/dress shirt?

Outside of a blazer, what would be appropriate as a jacket that would look nice?

This is my first job out of college( 22yo).

I feel that if I wore a blazer I would just stand out since it doesn't match the

culture.

1) I'm from CA, so it doesn't even get that cold, so Looking for two jackets, something thin or not that thick and under $80

2) Also I am incredibly Skinny, does anyone know where I can buy slim fitting dress pants? Right now I have 4 pairs of the J Ferrar( from JCpenney)and they fit pretty well, but they are really thin and wrinkle easy. I also just purchased the photographers from Express.

3) My dress shirts usually ride up and I have to fix my shirt after a few hours of sitting, where can i buy something inexpensive to keep my shirt straight and in my pants? lol

Thank you

You basically want a lightweight cotton blazer. I wouldn't worry about standing out because you look better than your peers. And if you do, that can only be a good thing.

As far as your shirt coming untucked, sounds like your shirt doesn't fit properly. I'm not aware of anything you can buy to keep them tucked in, so just start buying shirts that fit better, or have yours tailored. If you're skinny, that may be your only option.

Comment

Are you opposed to sweaters? IMO wearing a jacket indoors doesn't look right. What about a cardigan or v-neck sweater? You could wear a tie underneath either of those and stand out a little around the office. If you want to go the jacket route, a fleece jacket from anywhere; Columbia, North Face, etc.. would work.

As for pants, i'm currently in the same boat. No pair seems to be slim enough or even fit "nicely". You could try the Jcrew Bedford pant in the urban slim fit. When shirts want to head north of your belt, thats usually a sign of a poorly fitted shirt. Get some proper neck and arm length measurements and stick to buying slim fit or modern fit shirts.

Comment

Grey or navy v-neck, or a navy blazer are your easiest options.

Comment

I am 23 and just out of college. Our attire is business casual, but I wear a shirt and tie every day. A lot of people have noticed, including managers. I have got nothing but compliments. So if you are worried about standing out, don't worry. I would go with a light weight blazer. I am from South Carolina, so I understand the whole not getting too cold. But everyman should have a blazer or two regardless of weather. The cotton blazer from target (the name slips my mind at the moment) is a great option, and fits well. I am only 5'5" 140 pounds, so fairly skinny myself. Also, I agree with the sweater option.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
          -Maximus

Comment

I have to disagree about the Target blazer if you're referring to the Kensington. My stats are 6'1" tall, 180 lbs, 42" to 43" chest, 35" waist, 16.5" neck, 35" to 36" arms. The Kensington in large was much too large through the chest, waist, and sleeves (circumference, not length). I would not be able to size down b/c the arms would then be too short. Additionally, as someone in another thread pointed out, these particular blazers are probably a bit difficult to tailor b/c of the double seams at the sides (instead of a single seam starting in the armpit and running down the side, there are two parallel seams that each intersect the armhole a ways out from under the armpit.)

I did like the chino material and unstructured look though.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Well I guess I am a little broader up top. It fits me pretty spot on, maybe the arms are slightly to wide. So revision: If you are super skinny all around...no go on the blazer. Another place to look at is banana republic. It'll run you more than $80, but they are good constructed blazers.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
              -Maximus

Comment

I bought a few vneck sweaters and 2 crews.

I tried on the blazer from target a few days ago and it doesnt fit well.(still on the search, will have to get it tailored for sure)

My dress shirts fit my body well, but im so dam skinny(5'8 135lb) that when i get up and sit down they shift up and dont stay straight, maybe thats normal? They dont muffin top, but it just doesnt look nice.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

Try a casual leather/faux leather jacket. They can really spiff up a look without looking like you're trying to outdress your position. I know that company culture when it comes to dress can mean a lot depending on your company, so maybe playing within the rules and avoiding a blazer is best. I also second the idea of a cardigan, especially because you are wearing it to stay warm. Sweaters always come off as "oh he must be cold" whereas a blazer may make you stick out in a bad way.

BTW this is my FIRST POST! Hi gents! I've been staring at the same piece of code for 3 hours so I decided to take a break and join Threads.

Comment

Working...
                  X