Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnonymousJay
    replied

I completely agree with BenR's response. Except I started in the 4th grade I believe. And virtually every one of the glasses I've owned over the last 13 or 14 years have been Ray Bans (with a few exceptions). So needless to say, I can't help roll my eyes a little when I see people wear clear lens, non-prescription glasses as a fashion accessory.

But of course, to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• tyron
    replied

Before buying online, I guess they need to check if the store they are dealing with is offering genuine products. Authentic items sometimes also carry the website authenticity by checking the site updates and SSL membership.

Cheers,

Tyron Marco

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

Mine do have lenses...just to clarify...I do think no lenses is stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied

Wow, it never occurred to me that we could be talking about glasses without lenses. I guess I've never noticed that move.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

LOL you mistake me Ben. I'm talking only about FAKE glasses.

EDIT: Are we not talking about the glasses without lenses?

EDIT 2: I have a feeling I misunderstood what was meant by fake glasses... Sorry for the confusion. Currently going back to edit that first post and clarify.

EDIT 3: I guess I'll address fake glasses with lenses now... If you have never worn glasses in your life and suddenly pop up with a pair of them, you're probably going to be asked about it. Assuming you're not going to lie, there's a pretty high chance that (despite what people say to your face) they new glasses will affect how they think of you in a negative way. I'm going largely on first hand experiences with this type of thing. Here's what I typically see: a friend or acquaintance will be asked about their glasses, admit they're fake and be jokingly heckled or given insincere compliments (that sound sincere). Later the glasses come up in the wearers absence and everyone seems to feel negatively about them (even folks who are usually positive people).

EDIT infinity: One more thing about being discovered wearing fake lens glasses; it isn't impossible to gain genuinely positive approval from the would-be nay-sayers. Gaining approval would probably require a combination of the right outfit and attitude though, which seems relatively difficult to pull off (again, going from experience).

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

I understand the notion. But honestly, I am not fishing for compliments or being a copycat. I generally like them. I do agree with your statement of being taken seriously. But I also believe that dressing nice should be fun. If you saw some of the people and the way the dressed at my work, half of you would go into anafalatic shock. It is terrible. I dress nice because it is fun, I want respect of my peers, and because I am a firm believer that every man should dress decent. I think part of the reason that my generation sucks, is 80% of the guys don't know how to be real men. Sorry...went of on a tangent. But I don't wear them everyday either. I just think it adds a little fun to the outfit. And to BenR I do apologize for your suffering through childhood. I do know the pain in some sense. I was 4'9" 89 pounds my freshman year in highschool. Yeah...I looked like an elementary schooler.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that someone wearing glasses doesn't need to do so?

I wear what people would probably call hipster glasses. I actually have bum eyes, but I wonder if I'm being silently judged. That said, anyone judging me can suck it. I've been wearing thick black framed glasses long enough that if my look was a person, it would be old enough to vote.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

As someone who wears glasses because he's actually needed them since 2nd grade and has earned his "cool" status now as the result of being a "nerd" for his entire childhood, this is all I really have to say:

?_?

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

EDIT - I misunderstood what was meant by fake glasses. I assumed we were talking about the no-lens numbers. Please read this following post with that understanding.

I try not to give ppl crap about something they're wearing, but I have to agree, when I see someone wearing these, I have trouble dispelling the notion that the person is trying to hard, fishing for compliments and trying to look like Lebron or some other celebrity who can get away with almost whatever they want. Simultaneously, the word "hipster" often pops into my mind.

I think there was a post here the other day (either in the forum or the blog) which mentioned that you should aim to dress in a way that CAN command respect (obviously gaining respect is going to take more than dressing the right way). The point of the post was simple: don't dress in a way that will significantly decrease your chances of being respected. In my experience, wearing a set of fake glasses or big clunky things does just that. That's a pretty big generalization, but it's one I'm making based on observing many reactions to such glasses.

Obviously there are other considerations that may change your particular situation and thus might change the generalization I just made. As always, one should consider audience, occasion, goals and the like. For instance, maybe you're friends are all hipsters or you want to attract girls who are into the whole hipster vibe.

TL;DR -

My reaction to fake glasses falls in line with the reaction I've seen echoed from the vast majority of my peers. They give off the vibe that you're trying to be a hipster, celebrity copycat, or that you're simply trying to hard. Most times the guy(s) rocking this look end up being labeled 'tools'. I'm not going to get into whether or not those reactions are fair, I'm just saying that's the way things are (according to my observations).

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

IM BLIND!!!! Tell them to come take care of me.

Leave a comment:

• cjl
    replied
    <blockquote>

To each their own, but wearing glasses where they aren't required is like carrying a cane when you don't have a limp.</blockquote>

I pulled a tendon in my foot ten years ago when living in New York as a young man, and had to use a cane for a month. I never got so much female attention in my life. They just wanted to take care of me...

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

So maybe I should make it my trademark

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

The only people I see doing it are NBA players, hipsters, and a few celebrities.

The only time I don't mind is in the case of people like Tina Fey and Drew Carey, who wear them sometimes due to their trademark association with wearing them despite not needing them.

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

I wouldn't think it would be hipster-ish. They made a come back a few years ago, so if anything I am late to join in. Idk, I have always been a fan of it, and understandably I don't have a prescript in the ones I have, but to me its about having fun with what you wear. To me it ads a little bit of something different. But I agree to each their own. Everyones taste and opinion are different.

Leave a comment:

• Kittiwake30
    replied

To each their own, but wearing glasses where they aren't required is like carrying a cane when you don't have a limp.*

*Please note, canes are perfectly acceptable accessories if your professional occupation is as a pimp. Fake glasses are perfectly acceptable if you are a hipster.

Don't be that guy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X