Pocket Square Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket Square Help

I have a wedding coming up. I have my new Essential Grey Indochino suit, white shirt, AE strands, and a tie with different shades of purple stripes (wife's bridesmaid dress is purple) all I need is a pocket square, but I'm not sure what color(s)/pattern to get. I know it shouldn't match the tie, but that's about it. I was thinking something with yellow in it to contrast with the purple, or possibly pink (bonus - it's breast cancer awareness month). Any advice would be great.

bump

Comment

can't go wrong with white. with a purple tie, you already have some flash, so a nice clean white one would look great.

Comment

Confused by this: "I know it shouldn't match the tie, but that's about it."

90% of the time I wear a white hanky, but I didn't know it was bad form to match the tie. Am I making a rookie mistake?

Comment

It's a widely stated "rule" that your tie and pocket square should never match. It's one of the reasons why people think it's bad form to buy those boxed shirt deals from department stores (the ones where you get a shirt, tie, and pocket square).

This was the best explanation I could find in a brief search of my favored style resources for WHY this is a "rule" (under the heading "Defining Colors: The “Accent” Clothes"): http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/mans...bining-colors/

Comment

Jared, it depends on exactly what we're talking about when we use the work "match". If you're talking about an exact match on the color and pattern of the tie and PS (basically finding a PS that looks as much like the tie as possible), yes that's a major faux pas. If you're talking about picking out a color that's in your tie (ie. a deep purple stripe in a rep tie) and 'matching' that color with a PS that has some light lavender in it, I think you're probably in the clear.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

@Mark, while white is definitely a good go-to, if you do decide you want to get more colorful with it, I'd suggest that you do a Google search for wedding wear. Maybe use some operator and search the various style forums/blogs. You'll find threads with some great pictures.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Yeah diversification has it right. You never want it to look like your tie and pocket square were cut from the same cloth but that doesn't mean that they can't subtly reference each other.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I thought I read not to wear a white PS with a white shirt. I would like a little more color anyway. Maybe white with a purple, pink, or yellow edge? Or what would be a good pattern for a wedding? Also, if I have a silk tie should I go with a cotton (or different) fabric PS?

Comment

I wore a grey suit, purple tie, and white cotton pocket square to my wedding this past June and thought it was a good combination. I felt that the plain white added some contrast without drawing too much attention to myself (the tie took care of that!)

Comment

Working...
                    X