Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greg_s
    replied

This is what my jealous face looks like. Trust me. It's there.

Kudos for doing 2 weeks in one backpack. I wouldn't even attempt that.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

Ok everyone, linen pant recommendations!

Greg, I'm doing 2 weeks - probably at least a week in Rio, then the other week in nearby areas (Ilha grande or buzios)

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@zero, I can't comment on the bigger cities. I was down in Florianopolis which is inherently beach-oriented and casual. Even brazilians wear shorts and flip flops there. A lot of locals and Europeans wore simple pants with button down combos. It was not uncommon to see shorts and button downs out either. I'm guessing rio will be less casual and more like most parts of the world where shorts are not acceptable night life attire. Linen or cotton/linen will be your friend. I'd say bring one pair of lightweight pants and buy another there if you need.

Leave a comment:

• onerany
    replied

Do you have any synthetic layering pieces? They'll keep you drier when hiking, and you can reuse them for undershirts if they're tight enough. Not only that, but they'll dry overnight if you're washing in the sink.

Leave a comment:

• Cause Moe
    replied

It takes very little time to hand-wash a couple of days worth of underwear and socks. If you're worried about how much time it will take, I think maybe you're doing it wrong. Like showering, shaving, etc, I just count it as part of the regular routine. I rarely pack more than four underpants, undershirts, and pairs of socks, no matter how long the trip. I was traveling for more than a month last year, and it was no problem. It's really the way experienced travelers do it, and I suggest that you should re-consider your decision.

You say your bag is full, and that's a real indication that you're bringing too much. Also, considered outfits/matching. Make sure most of what you bring can serve more than one function.

Commenting on a few of the other comments:

1. good: Items that do double-duty, such a t-shirt that you can wear on the outside, as well as wear it as an undershirt. 10 t-shirts seems like too many.

2. good: Items that don't show dirt much ... white can be a problem.

3. good: If something is missing, buy it when you need it. You can buy any item of clothing in Brazil.

4.??? "it's easy to get dirty in some of these countries" ... These countries? Brazil is only one country, and there's dirt in every country. Sounds like stereotyping. You're visiting to Brazil, so expect the best: it's a nice place to visit, it's not inherently filthy, and it's not "these countries" whatever that's supposed to mean.

5. ??? Jeans don't get dirty? I don't know where that idea comes from, but jeans are fairly heavy weight and bulky compared to other trousers, so consider that for personal comfort and packing efficiency. I would never travel to an unfamiliar place with jeans as my only pair of long pants.

6. good: wear your bulkiest shoes on the plane to save packing space.

Another side of the buy-it-there idea, is leave-it-there. Be prepared to discard a few items; you may have Brazilian items to bring home with you. I frequently discard a few less expensive items near the end of a trip. Instead of packing super-cheap flipflops, consider buying super-cheap flipflops in Brazil, and leaving them there, for instance. Shipping things home is also a way to save space. If you find that you want a blazer for nightlife, buy one in Rio. Either wear it home, or ship it and some other items home by a slow and cheap shipping method.

Enjoy your trip. International travel is a great way to expand your outlook, and have a lot of fun doing it. At least once in Rio, go beyond your comfort level and take a little risk by immersing yourself in some Brazilian activity or place that is nothing at all like your home environment. I'm a little jealous. Brazilian music is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

@greg_s, I'm going in November, which is apparently spring there. Temps are supposed to be closer to 80-85, but humidity will be crazy high. I'm hoping it will be a little more tolerable.

Good points all, though. I think these are adjustments I'll make:

- pack a few less t-shirts (though they don't take up much space at all

- no jeans at all? maybe just chinos?

- will bring one piece of clothing for colder weather for hiking/etc. Maybe a thin zip-up sweater.

Anyone have suggestions for a place to pick up some slim linen pants that would pair well with button down shirts for nightlife?

@Greg: What did most people wear out to the bars at night?

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

For the love of all things holy, don't wear jeans in brazil. You will sweat your balls right off man. I could hardly wear linen pants at night it was so hot when I was there (in January). The only place I've ever been consistently hotter in my life was Thailand.

Also, brazil is beautiful. Enjoy yourself, zero!

Leave a comment:

• MikeAD91
    replied

If it's as humid as you think it may be, you won't want to be forced to wear jeans. Jeans are great for travel because they don't get wrinkled and they don't get dirty, but they really aren't comfortable in warm, humid environments. I would bring chinos.

That feels like a lot of t-shirts to me. No reason the colored can't be worn under the other shirts, so they could at least do double duty, but I would probably also be washing them in my hotel sink.

You may want to considering bringing two colored OCBDs, instead of the white. They'll show dirt less. It's easy to get dirty in some of these countries. I still remember the first time I got out of a car and had a dust stripe from the seatbelt across my navy suit...

I do almost all of my traveling with a single carry-on bag, and my general rule is to wear the heaviest of everything (within reason) and pack 4 additional days.

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied

You know, they sell t-shirts in Brazil. If you don't bring enough you can buy them, then toss them before you come back.

And sometimes I spend five minutes a day doing laundry by hand - put in sink, soak, take shower, then when out of shower rinse the clothes, wring and hang up. For underwear/t-shirts it's easy.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

My clark DB's are about as big as the hiking shoes, so no real savings there.

I'm already using the bundle packing technique as proposed by OneBag, which works pretty well.

No plan to buy any souvenirs. Just not something I ever bother with.

As far as high-end clubs, I don't think i'll be too likely to go to them. Even if I do, I suspect that a white button down + dark jeans + clark DB's will probably be enough to get me in. (though i'll be underdressed a bit).

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

If you're concerned about the hiking shoes taking a lot of space, wear those to/from home. You don't have to worry about space in your luggage if they're on your feet. The same goes for anything else that may take more space. And unless you plan on mailing anything home, you'll want to save at least a bit of room for souvenirs. Also research packing techniques. How much space will be determined as much by HOW you pack as it will be by WHAT you pack. Research the rolling technique.

I was actually planning a trip to Rio in December before budgets got in the way. I understand that Rio can be very casual UNLESS you're hitting the high-end nightclubs which have dress codes. I would try to pack a least one pair of nice pants, and you can always wear a light blazer on you while you're traveling if you think you might ever want to use it. You may never need one unless you're going somewhere nice, but when I travel, I like to mix some luxury in with it so YMMV. It all depends on your travel style.

If you'll be doing any jungle hiking outside the city, breathable clothes are gonna help. And if you're paranoid about mosquitoes like I can be, then you'll want long sleeves and light pants. Jeans and shorts wouldn't cut it. I own a pair of zip-off fishing pants for occasions such as that. If your research shows that mosquitoes won't be an issue, disregard this.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

@JT: Ya, that's what I'm torn on. I'll have access to some laundry facilities, but I also don't want to be doing laundry every 3 days just to save some weight.

People get kind of stupid that way - they think that a heavier pack is an inconvenience. Well, guess what, having to do laundry 3-4x instead of once is a major inconvenience.

As far as t-shirts go, I own very few right now, and am picking more up. I can try for double duty. I was planning on bringing lots of t-shirts though, because from what I'm told humidity is insane there (88% right now), and I sweat like crazy. I have a feeling I'm going to be destroying everything I wear.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

Ya, fair point. Hmm... not sure what I have that would work well for this.

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied

How much to take depends in part on what you are doing on the trip, and if you have access to water or facilities to wash and dry clothes.

If you'll be mainly in one place, or it least not moving everyday, then this:

"5 white v-neck t-shirts to wear under the ocbd's"

is perhaps too many. you could get away with two if they were not cotton, washing every night and squeezing hanging drive. Ditto 7 pairs of boxer shorts - three or four might be enough.

And with the colored T-shirts - it's a lot of T-shirts overall. Do you wear the colored T-shirts alone. Could you have V-necks do double-duty with some of them?

Leave a comment:

• dstepner
    replied

Even if you wear it down so it doesn't take space in your luggage, a light sweater is the one item I would add. There are nights where it get's a bit chillier, or if you end up in mountains at all it can get cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X