AE McTavish help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE McTavish help

I've decided that I'd like to get a nice pair of shoes. I'm a teacher, so I don't need super dressy. I know the Strands gets a lot of play here, but if I go with the McTavish in cognac or tan am I limiting myself too much? The only thing I wouldn't be able to wear them with would be black pants/suits, right? The Strands look cool but I think I like the McTavish more. Any help would be appreciated.

Personally I only like the McTavish in the waxed black with contrasting chilli sole. The other colors really don't pop as much for me. I've had a local cobbler look at them and he was really taken back by the look of mine.

Comment

If you were looking for something more like the Strands, the McAllisters are the dress shoe equivalent. I've only seen the black and the walnut on the McTavish, but I liked the walnut better. More interesting visual texture.

Fair warning, the sizing on the McTavish is a little weird. If you get your regular size they're going to fit like clown shoes; size down at least one size and up at least one width. They are seriously long and narrow. I resized four times before deciding the dang things just weren't made for my feet. Don't let that stop you, though. They're gorgeous shoes.

Comment

I ordered the natural tab color but I am seconds guessing if I should have got black

Comment

It's all subjective Wat. You may find you like the natural or walnut. I personally feel that the black really stands out, especially because of the contrast.

I've gained a reputation here for not losing bowel control over brown shoes like everyone else; most notably when referring to the disciples of "brown only" shoes that balk at anything else as the "Effeminate Queen Brigade."

I think shoes can be interesting without being LOUD (like walnut). Others may disagree. Hey, even leopard print works for some folks, so go with what you're comfortable with, and I'm sure it'll be fine. That's all that counts.

As a side note, the sizing is indeed weird. I went down a half size and needed tongue pads to get them to sit right. My heels slide up out of the shoe without them. If I wanted to play Allen Edmonds Factory Roulette, where one mixes and matches various pairs of seconds in different widths and lengths by mail, all the while attempting to obtain a pair that isn't too busted, I would have. I also didn't feel like spending weeks if not months trying to find a pair of shoes that fit me.

Comment

I have both the black and tan pairs (though I bought the black used for a good price and never really wear them; I'll probably get rid of them). I really love the tan. They straddle that line between casual and dressy because on the one hand, there's a bunch of detail to them, but on the other hand, the leather looks like something from a baseball glove. I'm a huge fan of them. I don't wear them as often as I should, but it's enjoyable to just... gaze upon them. They're definitely the pair of shoes that I take the most pleasure in simply owning. I think they're versatile and would work very well as a teacher. Certainly, you'd be on the dressier side, but within reason, imo.

For what it's worth, I didn't find the sizing weird at all. I wear an 11D in them, and I wear an 11D in MacNeils and most other Allen Edmonds, as well.

Comment

Working...
            X