Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

guideline for wearing button downs: roll, tuck, tie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greg_s
    replied

I personally don't do a tie with nothing over it (sweater, vest, jacket), but it can look just fine if all the details are in order. I think it is actually more challenging to pull that off. I've seen some stylish fellas do it. Fit on the shirt and pants are more crucial than usual with that look. Also the tie width has to be just right. Tie bar helps.

As for a tie and jeans, I like the dressed up yet dressed down look. Tie and jeans work just fine.

Leave a comment:

• kbrown
    replied

Tuck in: If it hangs below your crotch.

Roll up sleeves: if it is hot.

Tie: Only if tucked. Actually, only if you're wearing a jacket; if you wear a tie and no jacket, you look like a highschool teacher from the 90s.

I would avoid wearing a tie if you're wearing jeans most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied

Assuming your shirt fits, you won't look like an old man - you'll just look like you have your shit together.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan87
    replied

Button up tucked in - Work/Church/More formal events

Button up untucked - Only if its more of a casual pattern with a shorter length

Button down tucked in - Casual fridays at the office

Button down untucked - Socializing, "going out", length must not be too long

Target everyday shirt: I have the checkered one and I love to wear that untucked with jeans with the sleeves rolled up below the elbow. I wouldn't wear it to the office unless casual friday. The everyday shirts are pretty short in length which makes it perfect for leaving untucked.

By the way I'm 24. I don't like to look like an old man by tucking in my button downs for casual situations

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

I never wear an untucked button down shirt. I think it looks sloppy. I only wear untucked polos and tshirts. Tucked shirt looks fine with sleeves rolled or unrolled. I roll the sleeves just like @CJJ. I would never ever wear an untucked shirt with a tie...that's a high school kid look.

Leave a comment:

• CJJ
    replied

It all depends when and where you are wearing the articles of clothing. Here is how I do it:

Work: Tucked, sleeves rolled up (I am in So Cal so it helps with the heat). I italian roll my sleeves for longevity. Here is how http://dappered.com/2010/12/how-to-roll-up-your-sleeves/

If I am wearing a tie, I always tuck in my shirt regardles of where I am at (work or play).

Play: I usually am untucked when running errands or playing with my son. If going out on a date with my wife, tucked for sure.

Leave a comment:

• itsm3json
    started a topic guideline for wearing button downs: roll, tuck, tie?

guideline for wearing button downs: roll, tuck, tie?

What are your guys' guidelines when wearing a button up/down shirt w/out a blazer?

Combos: (when wearing)

- your shirt untuck - sleeves rolled?

- if untucked/ rolled - do you wear a tie?

- shirt tucked in - Sleeves rolled?

- tie or no tie?

Reason I'm asking - I'm wearing a target everyday shirt n jeans and not sure if untucked/ rolled sleeves/ no tie looks right.

Working...
X