Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you wear under a sport shirt? Especially when it's cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you wear under a sport shirt? Especially when it's cold?

Okay, so we've all talked, frequently, about the ugliness that is a white undershirt under a dress shirt, and the importance of wearing v-necks.

But I'm curious - what do you guys wear under more casual button-ups? I'm talking sports shirts, flannel shirts, etc...even rugbys and polos. Especially when it gets colder, and wearing no shirt underneath is just less and less appealing.

Personally, I try to pick a basic cotton tee that is either neutral, or complements / goes with the colors of the shirt (without being too matchy-matchy). How about you guys?

Pretty much the same as you. For casual wear (if I decide to wear an undershirt) I usually try to go with a crew neck t-shirt in grey or navy.

Comment

I usually throw on a white tank underneath to keep out a bit of the chill - otherwise if it's too cold for that the shirt is going under something, like a sweater. Visible layering like that looks better.

Comment

I'm wearing a sport shirt today with a thermal henley underneath. My inspiration was from Primer magazine on one of the getups. I believe it was called "fall casual saturday" or something like that. Google it

Comment

I live in the Bay Area so it never gets cold enough to wear a thermal under my sport shirts (which I wear every day since I work in a casual office). I usually wear a white crew-neck tee under casual shirts on chilly days but may just switch to gray v-necks since those would work under both regular sport shirts as well as dress shirts. Today I'm trying my first "button-down under sweater" of the fall since the temps are finally in the mid 50s, but it STILL feels warm! I'm just not sure I'll be able to wear many sweaters here in the winter, it just doesn't get cold enough. Kind of a bummer that sport shirts are my outer layer throughout most of the year!

Comment

I wear a v-neck under both dress and casual shirts. I hate to see the undershirt show.

Comment

I stopped wearing undershirts altogether, but I do wear long sleeve shirts underneath for warmth on a regular basis.

Comment

Comment

i wear a vneck almost every day of the year with the exceptions being polo shirts, i usually wear A=shirts ("wifebeaters"), and t-shirts, obviously

Comment

@nicholas - Now that I have the opportunity to ask you this (and since you work outdoors in the Bay Area as well!), what brand/type of long sleeve shirts do you wear as your base layer? I'm finding that the standard REI synthetic long underwear (even of the "lightweight" variety) or even cotton/polyester blend henleys are just too damn warm for those days when the temps climb into the 60s-70s by the afternoon. Perhaps cotton long-sleeve t-shirts are the answer?

Comment

V-neck if it's a dress shirt or if it's really cold, ?otherwise nothing. I'd rather bring a warmer jacket to wear outside so I'm not too warm when I'm indoors. Not big on visible shirts under sport shirts or dress shirts myself, but I'm not as offended by it as some are.

Comment

I wear v-necks beneath for comfort and because I hate the idea of deodorant ruining the underarms of my better shirts. If I didn't wear anything underneath, I can't imagine wearing them more than once. For a sport shirt or flannel thrown over a tshirt, I can wear it a few times before washing.

Comment

Either nothing or a beater. I don't like the look of any type of shirt underneath personally.

Comment

Nothing. If it's too cold for just a shirt, I have something over it (sweater, jacket, coat)

Comment

Working...
                            X