Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dstepner
    replied

Ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of Dalton's. Is there anything that can be done just to give them a little extra protection? I've heard people mention SKUFF, would it be worth investing in?

Leave a comment:

• savoyspecial
    replied

As far as Banana Republic shoe quality, I can't comment extensively about it as others can as I have only purchased one pair, but the pair of Suede Oxfords that Joe reviewed back in May have held up extremely well for me. For $89, it was the best shoe purchase I've probably made. I wear them 4 times a week, and they are extremely comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• dstepner
    replied

@ LosRockets I can't seem to find a pair of Hamiltons that will ship to Canada for less than 170 now. Not much of a bargain

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

Yikes, the price on the Hamiltons shot up! I snagged them for just under $100 last fall. At their current $150+ price I'd be hesitant also. It doesn't look like they're included in the current Last Call sale but they were when I bought them. Maybe they will be again soon?

Leave a comment:

• kman17
    replied

I don't have experience with either of those brands, but both are similar to the Sebago Hamilton which I do own. My Hamilton's are by far the most comfortable shoes I own. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan87
    replied

Out of those two I like the BR boots. If you can slap a 40% off code (Makes them 87 I do not know if they are exempt from code) to the price I would pull the trigger if I had the money. Though, I am seriously considering buying the sebago hamiltons (like the waterproof on them + look) if I can get them for the right price. Then again im poor and if I just want the look I might as well get the stafford camlins for $60 (used to be $70). After all the stafford cap toes look very very nice and I have no problem with scuffing them up and would buy another pair with ease.

Leave a comment:

• dstepner
    replied

@ kid, what color are they in, and what would you be looking for them?

Leave a comment:

• kidsampson
    replied

The Aldo shoes seem large to me (and I don't think they do half sizing). I have a pair of 10s (I think) that are sitting up in my closet and have never been worn. Somehow lost my original receipt so I haven't been able to return them. After my wedding this weekend (and honeymoon) I'm going to be posting them for sale here on the forums.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

If you are looking for affordable, you might consider the Stafford ones from JCP that Joe featured on the site.

I'd also hunt around for a J&M or Cole Haan sale before buying Aldo, that's my personal opinion though.

Leave a comment:

• CJJ
    replied

I am not familiar with Aldo's shoes but I am with BRs and my experience has not been good. I've owned a couple pairs of shoes from them and the quality is lacking (sole falling off, uncomfortable after wearing for a few hours, leather develops odd discoloration) and I would think twice about spending more then $50 on shoes from them.

I pulled the trigger yesterday on the JCP boots that have been getting some love from Joe and some of the guys areound here. To me $60 for a pair of knockaround boots is a low risk purchase.

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

The Aldos are definitely clunkier than AE Daltons, I have both and posted comparison pics in a prior thread. I do randomly get people who compare the Mr. Bs to 'fancy combat boots' and wouldn't consider them very dressy. The Mr. Bs go well with jeans or tough chinos (think alpha khakis) and a flannel shirt. I actually wish the Mr. Bs had a rubber commando sole, as I would get more use out of them. I won't be trying to wear them with a suit anytime soon. At sub-$100 I think they are a really good deal for a knock around boot.

Never had any experience with the BRs, but I don't usually buy middle grade stuff - I see they have a rubber sole, just like the JCP boot everyone loves, and if I was in the market I would probably lean towards that at $60 and save the money for something else (like, if you do want something nicer, saving up and getting a pair of Daltons, maybe even in cordovan)

Leave a comment:

• somaticmarker1
    replied

Like kbrown, I also own a pair of Daltons and Mr. B's, and while the Mr. B's are no where near the same level as the Daltons, they are a great casual boot with jeans. The Mr. B line as a whole seems to be a significant step up from Aldo shoes in general. Even many posters at styleforums have given the Mr. B line some love.

I would say that they are better constructed and use better leather than the BR Grayson boot.

Leave a comment:

• kevinD
    replied

Not letting me buy them at $75 (wont ship to my US zip) The US site still has them at $175...

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied

I actually like those Dark Brown Mr. B's. However, I've never had a good experience with Aldo shoes. Leather is always cheap. Would be interested in checking these out though for only $75. Maybe wait until they do addt'l off sale. It happens often.

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

I agree with @LosRockets, I don't like the broguing on the Mr. Bs. Between those two choices, the BR one looks much nicer. Quality should be okay but not great on both. If you want better quality without a substantial price increase, then I would recommend the Florsheim Hawley. I think you can get it for 20% off from Amazon or direct from Florsheim with coupons available on retailmenot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X