Levi 514 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levi 514 Question

Ok so I bought a couple pairs of levi 514s and they are great only I did not think about how they are low rise and the jeans seem to fit more like bootcut on me than straight leg. I've already worn them a bunch and returning them is out of the question. The inseam is 30 I guess I should have gotten 29. Would it be cost effective to get the jeans hemmed 1 inch shorter or to just wear them as they are and get some new ones for $30-40? I wouldn't want to spend any more than $10 on getting them hemmed is that realistic? Also speaking of the boot-cut look they seem to have is that because they are too long or because they are too wide at the leg opening?

Hemming is usually quite cheap: shop around with your local tailors and get quotes. I believe Levi's lists the leg opening sizes on their site so you can go click around there our alternately you can measure the opening and compare it to your ideal pair of jeans (that's if you have an ideal fitting pair). If you want to get a tough idea how they'll look hemmed, just roll them up. If that's not gonna do it for you still have a couple options.

1) sell them via Ebay, craigslist, here, other forums, etc

2) get them tapered (this basically means they'll narrow the pants from the knee to the hem). That will cost a bit more than just hemming.

FYI though 514s are straight cut, not boot cut. Try on a pair of Levi slim boot cut (I forget the number) and you'll see the difference.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Yeah I do not have an ideal fitting pair of jeans unfortunately. I tried the 501's and now the 514's so far and they both fit great through the thigh but just seem slightly too baggy after my knee and too loose at my ankle. Like you said i'm looking for more of a tapered look perhaps the new 508's?

Thanks for the input

Comment

I have some 514s and they work pretty well on me but I think I'm going to try the 508s next time I get near a store that has them. I'm hoping the thighs are the same as the 514 but I'm half expecting them to be a bit bigger (IIRC the 508 isn't listed as slim).

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Maybe try rolling the cuffs. I got my pair longer just to roll.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

I will offer 2 solutions:

1. Buy 513s. Higher rise and slight taper.

2. 'Tailor' the 514s yourself (or get someone to help you).

I threw my 514s in the sewing machine and tapered the full length of the leg down to a narrower leg opening... about a inch wider than a 511 opening. Easy as pie. Love the fit now.

If you're a really slim guy then 514s are just too loose at the cuff IMO. I wanted to salvage them so I put in the effort.

Comment

Im interested in the 513's ill have to try those and the 508's on next time im in Soho or times square

Comment

Good call on the 513s. I've never seen any in stores which is disappointing. I feel like they'd be very successful off the rack so I don't really understand why they are pretty much online only.

Comment

I've never been able to find a dark wash pair of 513s in Canada in my waist size, and it's a shame. They are much more 'classic' looking with the higher rise.

Comment

Lib - how do you know it's a higher rise? Personal experience? It doesn't say that on the site... http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11694071&&cp=3146842.3146854.1 1326986

They do look great. I'll watch for the next 40% off sale.

A side note: second person in a week to refer to 514s as bootcut!

Comment

Hmmm, I thought it did have that dialogue somewhere on their site at some point.

Anyway, yes, from personal experience I would say that the rise is a bit higher. Not 501-high, but higher than both the 514 and 511. Hopefully that is still true and they haven't changed the cut.

Not as slim in the seat/block as the 511s either, but moreso than the 514s (in my experience, anyway).

Comment

Gotcha. Sounds like a winning combo.

Comment

The 513's have a higher rise than the 514's. But what about 501 shrink-to-fit jeans?

Comment

I've not tried them on, but aren't the 508s supposed to be a baggy or relaxed fit in the seat/thigh? I kind of thought that sounded dumb with a really slim lower-leg.

Comment

I think the 508's fit great. I didn't have an issue with them being baggy in the seat or thigh. They just sit up higher. I haven't bought a pair yet but am likely to pull the trigger soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X