Undershirt delimma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undershirt delimma

This is almost embarrassing to post, but I have worn basic white undershirts for YEARS now. With almost everything. And I'm just starting to realize how bad it looks. What's the solution? Deep v-neck? My main concern is with dress shirts, since some of mine are thinner and I live in Illinois, where it's chilly like 6 months out of the year.

Correct, deep V is your answer. I think these are the ones that I get at JCP:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/men/clothing/big-tall/brands/stafford/stafford-essentials-mens-t-shirt-4-pack/prod.jump?ppId=16ab847&sisearchengine=182&siproduc t=Shopzilla&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Shopzilla-_-Men-_-StaffordEssentialsMensTShirt4Pack&srccode=cii_1004 3468&cpncode=33-94627796-2

Some good suggestions here:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/be...le-undershirts

Comment

I like grey regular v-neck tees. Unless you are very pale this shows less through dress shirts. I like these http://ribbedtee.com/store/product/c...eck-undershirt. $10 a piece but perfect for under dress shirts.

Comment

Do you mean your undershirts are thin or your dress shirts are thin so the undershirts show up? If it's the later, the only thing you can do is 1) not wear an undershirt, or 2) invest in thicker and better quality dress shirts.

V-neck undershirts are the way to go. They add a layer of warmth as well as absorbing some sweat and allowing you to wear your dress shirts longer between washes. I have a few cheap ones and I have to fold the collars in order for them not to show up under shirts with the top two buttons undone.

I'm in Illinois as well. Even if your dress shirt is thin, you can still layer it under a v-neck sweater for a nice casual look.

Comment

Skip the undershirt. Wear a sweater.

Comment

If your main issue is with see-through dress shirts, I'm afraid that PhD Plox has the best (and unfortunately, most expensive) advice here.

Investing in good quality, less transparent shirts can be daunting, especially if you don't live in a major metropolitan area where you can try a bunch of different stuff on. I've found that the Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin shirts are a decent mid-ground. They still aren't great quality shirts, but they tend to fit better than something I'd find at Macy's and they have better quality as well. I can still pretty much get away with wearing white undershirts under them (disclaimer: I haven't actually bought a solid white poplin or solid blue poplin shirt from them). They can typically be had for around $40 to $50 on the various sales they run.

If you're talking about actual high quality shirts that are designed to last a bit longer, you're usually looking at shirts pricing out at $100+.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Thanks a lot! These were all helpful responses. I need to get some higher-quality dress shirts, but in the mean time the v neck will have to do. Although I do like the idea of using them so you can get more wears between washes

Comment

Working...
              X