Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied

@nicholascrawford: My wife gets made when I do that. Except my pile usually forms under the coffee table.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Do you guys not know how to just pile a bunch of shoes in a corner?? Puh-leeze!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@Vicious, even without the actual creases trees will help retain the shape. and they are still good for pulling moisture out. Also, suede stretches less than other leathers (according to what I've read anyways). Lastly, if your trees are stretching your shoes, you have the wrong size trees.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied

When I went to AE, they sold me solid toe shoe trees. The guy said they were better but I didn't really understand why. Looking on their website, it says that solid toe is better if it's built for that particular shoe so supposedly AE trees are built for their lasts so it's better to have solid toes for them. I have split toes for all my other shoes.

I've always wondered, is there a reason to have shoe trees in suede shoes? Won't that do more harm than good in that it will stretch them out. Plus they don't really get creases anyways.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Well it is still somewhat of a mess as I moved in recently, but here is my current shoe storage. Some in the drawers and boxes up above. I will likely move them out of the boxes into drawers eventually. And then some on the shoe rack.

Leave a comment:

• kbrown
    replied

Er, I meant a split toe is better than a solid toe for the wrong shoe.

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied

@Alan nice work. I'm inspired now to head to Lowe's this weekend and get something built.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I have a pair of split toes that were actually made for the specific shoes they're in. They're absolutely fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• kbrown
    replied

Solid toe is superior if it's an exact fit for your shoe (i.e. it's crafted based on the last). That's extremely rare, and usually only comes with the shoes.

A solid toe is better than a split toe designed for a different shoe.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied

Split toe expands to the width of the shoe where the solid tend to barely put any form into the shoe from my limited experience

I have 1 Euro style split, 1 solid and rest are normaly cheapy $10 split toes

solid just doesn't seem to be meant to do anything besides absorb moisture.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

@kbrown

Just wondering, what makes the split toe superior to the solid? I was always under the impression that it was the other way around. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• kbrown
    replied

Oh, and buy shoe trees. I suggest josabank during those ridiculous buy one get two sales. They're the same as the Allen Edmonds solid toe versions. Inferior to split toe, but much better than newspaper.

Leave a comment:

• kbrown
    replied

If your shoes get dusty, you aren't wearing them enough. I suggest not owning shoes that you don't wear at least once a month in season.

You can buy bags from craft stores that will work for shoes.

Dust brushes off easily.

Leave a comment:

• jonATL
    replied

Juan said it, I think, but don't store leather shoes in boxes.

... or at least that's what I've always been lead to believe.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Here's what I did. I split the shelves into even smaller shelves to fit in more shoes.

As you can see, my wife took up most of the space... and then some. the plastic bins and the shelf in the back are all her shoes, too.

Not all the shelves are the same height. I did this to maximize space since some shoes are taller than others. I figure I was able to fit in at least 2 extra shelves this way. They're deep enough that I can't see how dust would be an issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X