Shoe lacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe lacing?

Hey everyone, I received my first pair of what I guess would be classified as fine aficionado footwear (Grenson Sharp Derby) and I just wanted to get a feel for what lacing style you prefer with your shoes. Mine are boots so please chime in all you Dalton owners out there! I only ask because I received the boots pre-laced straight bar style and though it does look very beat and classy it is a pain to lace up and put on.

I have straight laces on most of my shoes including both pairs of dressy boots. Like you said, it's neat. I guess what matters is the look you're trying to achieve. If you want them to go with dressier stuff, stick with the straight laces. If you want to grunge them up a bit for a more casual look, crossed laces are an option. regardless, I'm not sure there's a convenient way to speed up the lacing/unlacing process without thinking outside the box.

On one pair of my boots (AE Bayfields), the top three eyelets aren't eyelets at all. They're speed hooks. They make getting the boots on and off a snap. However, my other pair (Stafford wingtip boots) have to be unlaced halfway down and then pulled wide open to get them on and off. I practically have to re-lace them every time. It's a pain, but what can you do, right?

I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'm going to research adding speed hooks to my Staffords. I'll report back with my fiondings. In the meantime, waxed laces will slip through the eyelets easier give the shoes an even dressier look. Both are things you may want to consider for yourself.

Comment

Try Ian's Shoelace Site. It's got pretty much every possible way to lace your shoes, with instructions, pictures, and comparisons of the pros and cons of each method. It's almost disconcertingly organized.

For my money I like the over/under lacing or double helix for casual. Straight laces make everything look more formal.

Comment

Working...
      X