The guy who models pants for LEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy who models pants for LEC

(This is supposed to be lighthearted)...I was joking w/ my wife last night that the guy who models pants for Lands End Canvas (http://canvas.landsend.com/ix/canvas...as-Men-_-D-2-5) has a body shape that basically makes it impossible for me to envision what any of their clothes will look like on me. He is essentially the opposite of me (he being short and very long waisted, me being tall and short waisted). Since he models ALL their pants/jeans, they all look equally strange to me. It probably doesn't help that in half the shots he has the no-break-no-socks things going on.

I don't know if I'm just projecting my own body biases outward, but he strikes me as having a fairly uncommon body shape, which makes him an interesting choice as a clothing model (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's probably a good thing for the shorter guys amongst us, as most sites have taller dudes.

Anyway, carry on

? Looks pretty normal to me.

Comment

Really? Interesting. Compare him to models on other sites (BB, J. Crew, Bonobos, etc.). Dare I say you won't find any other models that short + long waisted? But, maybe I just over-analyze this sort of stuff.

Comment

I'll agree with Lewis here. The guy looks short and a little thick to me.

Comment

Ahhh . . . thick . . . thanks for clarifying that for me. I was wondering what 'long waisted' meant.

Comment

It's odd that they would have a model who has to cuff every single pair. I will definitely give you that.

Comment

Maybe he's the founder's kid? *shrug*

Comment

How do we know he's short? I'd actually bet that they intentionally put him in long inseams so that he CAN cuff them. Similar stuff going on in the J.Crew catalog (just, more ankle). But long-waisted as a euphemism for thick...that's a new one to me!

Comment

@Vicious, @Brooklyn, I'm actually not equating the waist length with thickness. Here is a useful post on the topic (although directed towards women): http://www.alreadypretty.com/2012/03/reader-request-how-to-balance-a-long-torso.html.

Essentially, the LEC guy's upper body is proportionally very similar in length to his lower body, which creates an unusual visual compared to the 'average' body type (and as I said, mine is the opposite...my legs can look *too* long compared to my upper body if I don't dress carefully).

When he cuffs his pants like this, he's actually accentuating this 'imbalance', and not in a good way, imho. It's that whole 'dressing for your body type' thing.

Comment

Interestingly, I feel like I have a similar-ish body type to this guy (long torso, average legs, very short waist). Yet I don't have any easier a time buying LEC pants based on the stock photos than any other pants. *shrug*

Also interesting that people have commented on his height. Male models are almost uniformly between 5'11" and 6'2" so I doubt he is actually short, though his body type or the way he wears clothes might make it look that way.

Ben

Comment

Point is, he looks short. Short-ish and thick looking legs, big, long torso, thick, but not superhuman arms and torso. He just seems like he must be a bit under 6 feet, more likely I would guess even under 5'11". Doesn't mean it is true and it could just by body type, but he is definitely unusual for a model.

I'm confused by what "short waist" means. Do you guys mean inseam length? Or smaller waist? I don't generally think of any measurements calling for waist height, at least, not with that type of jargon.

Comment

Short-waisted and long-waisted refers, essentially, to the distance between your natural waist and your crotch. Someone who is high- or long-waisted has a natural waist that is higher up on their torso and farther from their crotch. Someone who is short-waisted has a shorter distance. Belly button location is a good way of judging this. My belly button is pretty low on my torso, whereas I've encountered dudes whose belly buttons seem like they're practically up to their armpits.

People with shorter waists usually appear to have longer torsos and shorter legs, while longer-waisted people generally look the opposite. But actual leg and torso length can vary, as well.

Ben

Comment

Unfortunately we can't all be perfectly proportioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man

BUT - we can dress to make the best of our positives and disguise the negatives!

Comment

Working...
                          X