X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diversification
    replied

@shad0w4life

I too will be interested to see the new forum structure. The setup you mention probably would be nice. Hopefully something like that isn't too hard to implement.

@greg_s

I'm glad to hear your day has improved! What type of beer? I'm all over a Dogfish Head Punkin right now myself.

Anyway, I realize I may be new here, but I've been around plenty of other forums for a long time (a few of them are also style forums). Regardless of the forum I've come to the point that I speak up when I notice something that could be improved. My opinions aren't always popular, but a lot of times good ends up coming from my posts whether it be from my OP or other ideas generated in the thread. If you choose to deem that irritating, so be it. Much like yourself, I'm going to try to improve the places that I spend time.

As for your comment earlier, I meant what I said when I mentioned I knew you probably didn't mean it the way it came off. Regardless of your intent, if I interpreted it that way, so did others so I was just giving you the heads up. Again, I understand you were having a bad day and didn't really mean it that way.

Back to the topic of this thread, you disagree with me as do a number of others. There is also substantial support for my idea from people who think that would help them. The point is, it seems to me that it would help much more than it would hurt and it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Ah the assumptions again. No longer feeling grumpy as I have delicious beer and pizza ahead of me (the beacon of health that I am these days), I stand by my previous statement. This is one of those circuitous conversations that I just don't find helpful. I will say, maybe inane was strong. Frivolous gets more to the point. I don't want to be a naysayer, so if you want to continue this conversation: gsimonson01 at gmail dot com

The new Threads is coming and the moderators should have a preview of it from Joe and Paul soon. I cannot say what features it will have as I haven't seen it, but I hope it has profiles. Measurements in profiles might be helpful. I genuinely don't see the utility in a long list of measurements, however. Comparisons across brands are more helpful. There is a reason many MTM shirting places suggest you measure your best-fitting shirt and not your body.

There will also likely be some sort of forum rules/suggestions/how-to-not-be-irritating-when-you-first-start-out sticky

And finally, "you would have been sending a message to members that the moderators do not value their input concerning possible ways to improve this site." I meant no offense, but as you have only been around for a month in these parts it is rash to be inferring such messages from my post. I pride myself on being [mostly] convivial and helping Dappered Threads remain a small part of the internet that stays that way. I will, however, be vocal when I am rubbed the wrong way. There is no subtext of actively impeding constructive comments.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

http://i.imgur.com/Fmexj.gif

I never recommended censoring people or handing down mandates: I've been clear that I'm not an advocate of that type of thing. What I'm proposing could potentially help remove the need for as many clarification questions. It also might help newer users to think about aspects of their fit they may not have really considered previously (see my example in an earlier post). As I've said before, an easy way to implement my suggestions would be to sticky a post about how to get the most out of these forums; in that sticky, write a bit about why it's suggested that they include their measurements in their profile (once we have profiles). The goal is to improve their own experience here and to help others simultaneously.

Clarification will still be needed now and then, but what I've proposed can only help.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied

That would be handy, because I ALMOST ordered some charles tyrwhitt black label shirts with everyone saying how slim they are, but upon looking at the chart I would require some massive tailoring around the waist. 15.5 extra slim for example is 43 chest and 38 waist...may as well call it box cut

I was hoping that the forum would progress into a more organized structure with sub categories eg. Shirts-->Shirt Fitting-->Brand X-->Dress Shirts and then people can put different sizes etc

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied

@diversification http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/obnoxious.gif

Let people post what they want. If someone wants clarification, they'll ask.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

@greg_s

It's one thing to disagree with my suggestions, but it's another entirely to call them, and the ensuing discussion inane. Your tone and wording is forgiven because I assume you were moved by your preexisting grumpiness. Had you not simply had a case of the grumpies, you would have been sending a message to members that the moderators do not value their input concerning possible ways to improve this site. I honestly don't think that's the message you intended to send and I hope your day improves as it goes.

Anyway, the reason I assumed you had only read the OP was that I had already addressed a post very similar to MaxMan's. ThomasBM's first post and my first response to him covered the focus on the "please critique my fit" threads/posts.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@diversification, I encourage you to make fewer assumptions. Forgive my tone, but I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I have read the thread and deemed the discussion inane. Thus, I agreed with maxman's concise response.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

@Kenneth

I get that you want this place to give off a more laid back vibe than somewhere like SF and I don't disagree with that. SF can be an intimidating place and that's not a good thing. However, when profiles become available, encouraging folks to list their measurements can only help. Additionally, knowing your measurements isn't "minutiae", it's one of the first things someone learning about style and trying to up their game needs to figure out. Others have pointed out that until the forum is updated and we have profiles, the idea of listing measurements in every fit-related post is excessive and unrealistic: they're right. What I'm envisioning is sticky describing how to be the best dappered member you can be. In that sticky would be a section ENCOURAGING (not mandating) members to list their measurements in their profile and explaining that they should really measure themselves anyway. Maybe include a few details about how it's helpful. From here, I'll refer you to my previous post instead of restating.

@MaxMan & greg_s

It kinda sounds like you guys may have only read the OP and then posted (can't blame you, it's a long thread). The ideas I have put forth in the OP have evolved though and you are both commenting on points I've already addressed multiple times. If you get a chance (and have the desire) I encourage you to read through the entire thread.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@MaxMan, word. If you want to give us the measurements, they can help people that are more experienced in the world of fit make a more accurate assessment. However, it is not always necessary.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

JUst to give my 2 cents here, while i understand the point the OP is making, it becomes an over regulated area, where most guys are just trying to start out and posts a pick of does this fit well?; anyone who has a few years of dressing well under their belt can assess someone rather quickly without knowing build height or any other thing...if i look at a jack on someone i can tell whether or not it will need to be taken in sized down etc...lets not make it about parameters and cause the newer guys to feel like there is too much to do just to get a quick response.

Leave a comment:

• kenneth
    replied

Like NC has pointed out, given the disparate ideas of what two different people may mean by "fit" and the extent to which all of this is generally guided by taste, I don't think an exhaustive list of measurements would be helpful. They go to this degree often at SF, but it's always between people like Foo and Manton who are already well into the area of diminishing returns and have already learned 99% of what there is to know about this field. The exhaustive minutiae is not for Dappered, we appeal to a different crowd: the "I don't take this THAT seriously but still want to look good at an affordable price" bunch.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

@nicholascrawford Indeed people do make ridiculous comments much like the one you pointed out about the 514s. Lets explore that though. What if that person had their middle thigh, calf and ankle measurements somewhere? It would be easy enough to ask "how much slack do you have at each measurement point?" All the poster would need to do would be pinch the fabric and bam, you have a rough idea why he may have said something like that. Chances are, he has large thighs and comparatively skinny calves and ankles.

@ThomasBM Thanks

@SDot http://i.imgur.com/mueD9.gif

@LosRockets The current system you're in favor of encourages posts that are needlessly repetitive. If a standardized measurement system were put in place (not mandatory, but encouraged) it would eliminate the need for many of the "could you give me details about your size/measurements" posts. This would make threads less cluttered which is always a good thing.

As I pointed out in my reply to NC above, perception of fit could much more easily be eliminated as a variable if we were to implement a measurements system that became widely accepted. For instance, my profile would say that my chest is 42" and my waist is 35". I would be able to pinch the CT Tailored fit shirt I'm wearing and tell you that on a 16.5 / 36 there's about 6 to 7 inches of slack at the waist and chest.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

I'm a fan of our current system of "Oh hey that fits you well/poorly. Could you give me more details about your size/measurements so I can compare?" And I definitely agree with NC about taking things w/ a grain of salt or consider that people can be coming from different perspectives.

For example - when I started wearing Alpha Khakis I thought they were absurdly trim fitting, but now when I wear a lot of other pants they just seem too big. If I were to say that my legs were swimming in LE Tailored Year 'rounders, I wouldn't mind being asked what I normally wear or something similar. Somebody mentioned the utility of brand fit comparisons, and I agree that I've found those to be most useful (see any of the many threads on CT vs BB ESF vs NM vs TML etc...) for purchases because then it's more likely to have a point of comparison. Individual measurements and 'fits well' are equally vulnerable to preference biases, but you cannot really deny that one shirt's 15.5/34 is slimmer than another's.

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied

Pull your skirt down, lighten up...it's not that serious

Leave a comment:

• ThomasBM
    replied

As something that we all agree to do in order to help each other, I pretty much agree with you Diversification.

Your wording of the issue was maybe slightly "strong" but no blood no foul... I hope this idea gets a spot in some sort of profile page when these boards get upgraded. I would do it to help others and hope for the same in return.

High five for a good idea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X