Comments About Fit - Pervasive Omissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://i.imgur.com/Fmexj.gif

I never recommended censoring people or handing down mandates: I've been clear that I'm not an advocate of that type of thing. What I'm proposing could potentially help remove the need for as many clarification questions. It also might help newer users to think about aspects of their fit they may not have really considered previously (see my example in an earlier post). As I've said before, an easy way to implement my suggestions would be to sticky a post about how to get the most out of these forums; in that sticky, write a bit about why it's suggested that they include their measurements in their profile (once we have profiles). The goal is to improve their own experience here and to help others simultaneously.

Clarification will still be needed now and then, but what I've proposed can only help.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Ah the assumptions again. No longer feeling grumpy as I have delicious beer and pizza ahead of me (the beacon of health that I am these days), I stand by my previous statement. This is one of those circuitous conversations that I just don't find helpful. I will say, maybe inane was strong. Frivolous gets more to the point. I don't want to be a naysayer, so if you want to continue this conversation: gsimonson01 at gmail dot com

The new Threads is coming and the moderators should have a preview of it from Joe and Paul soon. I cannot say what features it will have as I haven't seen it, but I hope it has profiles. Measurements in profiles might be helpful. I genuinely don't see the utility in a long list of measurements, however. Comparisons across brands are more helpful. There is a reason many MTM shirting places suggest you measure your best-fitting shirt and not your body.

There will also likely be some sort of forum rules/suggestions/how-to-not-be-irritating-when-you-first-start-out sticky

And finally, "you would have been sending a message to members that the moderators do not value their input concerning possible ways to improve this site." I meant no offense, but as you have only been around for a month in these parts it is rash to be inferring such messages from my post. I pride myself on being [mostly] convivial and helping Dappered Threads remain a small part of the internet that stays that way. I will, however, be vocal when I am rubbed the wrong way. There is no subtext of actively impeding constructive comments.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@shad0w4life

I too will be interested to see the new forum structure. The setup you mention probably would be nice. Hopefully something like that isn't too hard to implement.

@greg_s

I'm glad to hear your day has improved! What type of beer? I'm all over a Dogfish Head Punkin right now myself.

Anyway, I realize I may be new here, but I've been around plenty of other forums for a long time (a few of them are also style forums). Regardless of the forum I've come to the point that I speak up when I notice something that could be improved. My opinions aren't always popular, but a lot of times good ends up coming from my posts whether it be from my OP or other ideas generated in the thread. If you choose to deem that irritating, so be it. Much like yourself, I'm going to try to improve the places that I spend time.

As for your comment earlier, I meant what I said when I mentioned I knew you probably didn't mean it the way it came off. Regardless of your intent, if I interpreted it that way, so did others so I was just giving you the heads up. Again, I understand you were having a bad day and didn't really mean it that way.

Back to the topic of this thread, you disagree with me as do a number of others. There is also substantial support for my idea from people who think that would help them. The point is, it seems to me that it would help much more than it would hurt and it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Working...
        X