Need advice on buying used tweed sportcoats on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on buying used tweed sportcoats on ebay

So I'd like to get a nice tweed sportcoat for the fall. Since I don't have a wool navy blazer, I was planning on spending more money on this and then going the used route on a tweed jacket since they seem to be easier to find on ebay. I'm in my mid-20s and in medical school so this isn't as much a priority as the formal navy blazer, but I want something casual.

I was hoping for some advice on what to look for and what to avoid specifically in this realm. I've heard that Harris Tweed and Pendelton are both great names to look for and I prefer a darker gray / blue look (though a killer brown wouldn't be bad). Because I'm going the used route, should I expect fairly strong shoulders? I'm expecting that I'll have to take in the waist.

I found a couple that I liked and I was hoping for y'alls expert opinions on which ones seem like better purchase. I'm 5'9, 165 and wear a 38R.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-DANIEL-HECHTER-NAVY-FLECK-WOOL-TWEED-HUNTING-BLAZER-JACKET-38-R-/221119697795?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item337bc2d383

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-HARRIS-TWEED-Scottish-Wool-Leather-Cap-Buttons-Coat-Jacket-Blazer-38R-US-/140864295775?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item20cc2a935f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-HARRIS-TWEED-MENS-WOOL-SPORTS-COAT-JACKET-BLAZER-SIZE-38-REG-/320997770120?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item4abcf54388

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MENS-BLAZER-SIZE-38-REG-SPORTS-COAT-100-PURE-WOOL-TWEED-/251164397472?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item3a7a908fa0

Any of these look good to y'all? Thanks!

not to discourage you, but i could never get a grip on the shoulder pads. i'd order a few ($10-20 ones, mostly) that were exactly my size, and receive them only to realize the shoulder pads were immensely noticeable and jutted out if you moved your arms. i buy plenty of things on ebay, and have even had a lot of luck with blazers, but when it comes to tweed ones, especially vintage ones, i'm emphasize proceeding with caution. it can be *really* easy to miss a minor detail that you'd really only know from trying it on.

Comment

9 out of 10 are going to be from the 80s or 90s and have one or more of these characteristics:

- If the pictures show the jacket lying flat, the shoulders will probably be padded like a david byrne suit.

- If the pictures show the jacket shoulders (and they don't look like crap), the jacket will have significant damage that isn't worth repairing.

- If the fabric and lining look good, it will probably have some awkward alterations that make it unusable for you, like one sleeve much shorter than the other, or chopped several inches too short.

- If none of the above are true, it will smell like smoke and/or cat urine, and you'll never get the smell out.

You might get lucky, but it's usually not worth it. Never spend more than $50 or so including shipping. Remember, you're probably not going to be able to return it if it's terrible.

Comment

Or avoid all of these issues and deal directly with capnwes. He is a member here and on SF. Message him on SF. He has toons of vintage tweeds and provides very accurate descriptions with several pictures. He is also great about answering questions and has excellent prices.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

If you're looking for a Harris Tweed from across the pond that is a bit, um louder, than those ebay listings, let me introduce you to this guy:

But you better live somewhere where it gets cold. To say this is a bit heavy is a bit of an understatement.

Comment

Working...
          X