Need a new pair of casual shoes for fall/winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new pair of casual shoes for fall/winter

I don't have many pairs of shoes at the moment. I've got a pair of canvas shoes from LEC that are fraying on the top layer (the ones I'm hoping to replace), a pair of Sebago Hamiltons that are holding up just fine, and a pair of Bass blue suede shoes that are likewise just fine. I need a new pair or two of daily-wear casual shoes; the other two pairs get brought out usually once a week or so, but they're not casually versatile like the canvas shoes. Any suggestions?

A side note, I've tried on Clark's desert boots, and they fit too loosely in the ankle for my taste. Anybody else have that problem? If so, any decent alternatives?

I love the Sebago Salems. Great pair of casual oxfords and can be had on Last Call for fairly cheap.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Budget?

Comment

I recently ordered some LL Bean Blucher Mocs in an attempt to fill that gap of casual-shoe-I-can-wear-everyday. They should come in tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
        -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Comment

Bonobos also sells the Salems if you're sitting on store credit there.

Comment

I bought a pair of AE Wilberts. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but they're casual to me.

Comment

I just picked up the Johnston and Murphy Runnell in oiled brown leather. Great casual shoe in the chukka/desert boot style that fits and feels great. The sheepskin lining feels great and the higher lacing up through the ankle should alleviate any fit concerns you saw in the Clarks Desert Boot.

Comment

+1 to the J&M Runnell. I've had the shoe version for a year now and it's holding up great. I wear it with jeans and casual chinos and it looks great with both.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into them.

Alan, I'm looking at trying to spend less than $100. I don't need shoes that will last the rest of my life, but I do need a pair that is versatile and good-looking that I can wear five days out of the week without feeling confined. To illustrate, the next couple of weeks are probably going to be very uncomfortable for me in that, with only the wingtip boots and the blue suede shoes, the range or outfits I can put together from my limited wardrobe is severely shortened by loss of casual footwear.

I was initially thinking of going for another pair of canvas shoes, maybe PF Flyers or Jack Purcells, but I doubt that those will do much for me as the leaves start a-fallin'.

Comment

Another +1 for the JM Runnells, I've had my oiled brown leather Runnells for a year now and they are holding up well. I got another pair in the camel suede. They are very comfortable and very versatile. Can be worn with jeans, chinos.

Comment

In case you're interested, I got my Blucher Mocs in today. Super comfortable, look great, and they will probably become my everyday shoe for the Fall.

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
                      -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Comment

Took a look at all the suggestions so far.

Sebago Salem - Not terrible, but it just looks a bit...off. The only color I could live with is the dark brown; all the others are too shiny, and there's something very unsettling about the smooth brown pair because of it.

LL Bean Blucher Mocs - Not what I was expecting, but I didn't know what to expect. They didn't look bad, but they didn't really look like they fit my personal style. They just weren't me.

J&M Runnell - Now we're talking! I can dig it. The tan oiled full grain pair will do just fine. Not too rugged, not too dressy, slick as hell. Simple design, nice details. It's a bit above my price range, so either I'm saving another check, or I'm looking for a sale/code, but I think these might be the right ones.

Thanks for the help! But please, keep the suggestions coming! I find the fall transition to be a great one, but I have trouble with fall footwear aside from 'wear boots'.

Comment

Here's a casual chuck-inspired shoe with a bit more heft:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/converse+men%27s+chuck+taylor+all+star+berkshire+s neaker+boot?prodId=248511&productRef=SEARCH

It's extremely casual, though. And there's no exactly how thick it'll be until you try it on.

Comment

Working...
                          X