Pulling Off the Double Breasted Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling Off the Double Breasted Suit

So I've never been a fan of the db suit. My dad loves them and he can pull it off pretty well, but I've always felt it looked a little... mafioso I guess.

I recently saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when it hit IMAX. Everyone knows the iconic leather jacket, safari shirt and fedora. But at the end of the movie Harrison Ford is walking down some courthouse steps in a navy double-breasted suit. And I gotta say, he looks pretty boss. Maybe it was just him, or maybe it's the way it was tailored, but it looked like it fit him very well. Or shit, maybe it was just the fedora that made the whole thing come together. Either way, he looks damn good and it's made me reconsider the db suit.

I haven't been able to find a pic, but just pop Raiders into your dvd player and go to the last 10 minutes or so. Or just watch the whole, it's still pretty awesome. Also, Karen Allen.

Anyway, what are some modern, well-tailored db suits I should look at? Custom or just some good tailoring for an off the rack? Where do you wear it, how do you wear it, etc.?

I think db jackets look good on trim guys. On wide guys, like me, it just makes you look wider. That's my only thought on db jackets.

Comment

My dad has tons of DB suits. Makes me want to take the plunge, but it helps being old when it comes to that look.

Comment

I could pull off the double breasted look, but I can't think of a scenario where I would choose to wear a double breasted jacket over a single breasted jacket.

The exception to this is outerwear. I find double breasted coats to be more attractive than most single breasted alternatives.

Comment

Working...
        X