Center Vent Issues: The Tale of the Dreaded "Rooster Tail"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Vent Issues: The Tale of the Dreaded "Rooster Tail"

In January of this year, I purchased the Colburn Tweed Sportcoat (in Ludlow Fit) as seen here:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~17972/17972.jsp

It seemed like a decent choice at the time, before I knew much about the details of how a jacket should fit. When I received the jacket by mail, various issues began to present themselves. After unpacking, the jacket fit like the box it came in prompting me to believe that I had received tailor's inspiration for the piece (a square box) along with my purchase. I have several Ludlow jackets, and this just wasn't comparable. Long story short, J.Crew provided excellent customer service in that they reimbursed me for the required tailoring. I had this done in the spring, and while the jacket seemed to fit a bit slimmer, the dreaded center vent "Rooster Tail" was still a problem.

For those that have never experienced this, Center Vent Rooster Tail, or CVRT is a phenomenon in which the center vent of a jacket or sportcoat inexplicably thrusts itself backwards providing a "bell" shape profile resembling a protruding rooster's tail attached to one's behind. Before anyone asks.. I do not have a posterior that is even remotely capable of such a feat. Obviously, pictures would be helpful, but the jacket is at the tailor right now.

Now then.. on to possible solutions. My tailor says that this is caused by the back of the jacket being too tight (mind you, this is a jacket in my size, and the shoulders are even somewhat questionable, bordering on a smidge too large at 40R -- I only bring this up because a jacket that's too large should not have a rear vent that's being forced open). He states that the solution is to sew up the center vent (for $30). My concern is that the jacket will come out looking stupid. He pinned the back vent, said "That's It" and began scribbling illegible characters on his pad.

Anyone familiar with this type of issue? Common problem with Tweed? Suggestions? Comments?

THANK YOU!

Well hindsight is 20/20, but the simple solution going forward is double vented jackets. I swear by 'em.

Comment

@Alan: Almost all of my other jackets are double vent. Agreed moving forward. Wondering if anyone else has suggestions about this situation.

Comment

I have a rather, um, generous posterior for my size, so I get the rooster tail with any single-vented jacket. I've basically remedied the problem by A) buying double vents when I can and B) not caring about it too much when I can't.

Ben

Comment

@Ben - ever considered sewing the vent up? I have single vents that lay flat, my issue is specific to this jacket, though I'll likely lean towards double vents in the future. I spent some time researching, and found that some tailors on style forum were recommending the jacket be let out in the hips or something.. I think that the center vent is the only option short of redesigning this jacket from scratch. It doesn't even look that great on the model. When I purchased it, it was pictured on a mannequin.

Comment

I wouldn't sew the vents - that would be silly. To be fair, though, the rooster tail effect I get isn't too bad.

If it's just one jacket that exhibits the problem, I'm guessing it is specific to the fit and/or construction of that particular jacket. Letting it out in the hips or lower back area would probably help to resolve the problem.

Ben

Comment

It was the tailor's first reaction to seeing the "problem" -- so I'm guessing this is a common practice. We'll see how it looks. There are varying opinions on other style-related forums. I think ventless is going to be a better option than the Foghorn Leghorn look. J.Crew is reimbursing, so I'll end up with something I'll wear, or something that will get eBayed at no cost to me.

Comment

@frost, wow, we are having similar J.Crew issues, aren't we? I bought a Ludlow tweed blazer earlier this year and it definitely didn't fit like I expect Ludlows to fit. I also had mine tailored immediately after receiving it and, although it fits better, it still doesn't have the overall fit I was hoping for. I only wore mine once and will have to see if I get the rooster tail, too. I'll probably end up eBaying mine but I'm interested to know how you got J.Crew to reimburse your for tailoring. You must seriously have some pull with them!

Comment

@Mugen - honestly, I just level with them. I tell them the problem, and what kind of quality I've grown to expect from them. If they are hesitant to help, I remind them the kind of customer I am.. just as I would with any provider of goods or services. They're pretty reasonable.

Comment

I think what you read about the hips is probably spot on. The hips get adjusted via the side seams, so it makes sense that letting out the side seams at the hips would relax the dreaded rooster tail effect.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting the tail of one of my jackets sewn up for this reason. I have a sport coat that is originally made to not have a vent and it really doesn't bother me when I am wearing it.

Comment

Many of you don't know, but October is "CVRT Awareness Month."

I held a walkathon last weekend and the turnout was just spectacular. Men of all ages and sartorial leanings marched to the Town Square bravely displaying their Rooster Tails. Foghorn Leghorn was our mascot. Frank Muytjens was burned in effigy.

We raised over $2,000 for tailoring costs.

So there's some good news for frost and others who so needlessly suffer one tail at a time.

Comment

Working...
                        X