Grey sharkskin at an evening wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey sharkskin at an evening wedding?

I'm going to a wedding soon and so I picked up a charcoal suit, but after trying it on many times I'm just not loving the fit. haven't had much luck finding an off-the-rack suit in my size in charcoal in local stores (without paying $500 or more), and I happen to already have a grey sharkskin that fits well. looks like this:

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/86/ad/86ad9a5cf6d2f752d88dbf569baf0ccb/tommy-hilfiger-macys-jackets-jacket-grey-sharkskin-trim-fit.jpg

is this too light a color? it's an evening ceremony and I think it's outdoors, reception inside. if it were in the afternoon I'd be fine with the grey, but will it work at sunset? it's a smaller wedding at some sort of country club if that matters, and I won't know more than a couple people there. if it's a good shade to wear, I was thinking I'd stick with black shoes and a darker tie (and maybe pocket square?). then I can return the charcoal suit and hopefully put that money towards a thick as thieves custom job

I'd be inclined to say it's fine. Not ideal, but in a semi-pinch like you seem to be in, it's probably just fine. Since it is lighter with the sharkskin having a hint or illusion of sheen to it thereby standing out, keep the shirt/tie/square combo dark and very down played. No patterned pocket square and no more than the edge showing. Just my opinion.

Out of curiosity and weighing the situation, what would have been the alternative if a consensus against the sharkskin formed? Rush tailor job or off the rack with poor fit?

Comment

I'd stick with the charcoal. the jacket is a little tight in the shoulders and the pants a little too slim, but it would work. my problem is if I commit to it and get the pants hemmed I figure I'm stuck with it, and since it's on the smallish side there's not a whole lot of room to make changes. not that I see myself getting super ripped anytime soon but it's just not worth the cost when I can get a quality made-to-measure suit for not much more that I'd feel better about.

Comment

Post a pic of you wearing. Maybe we can be your critical eye. Are you relatively new to fitted styles? When I first started I was rather uncomfortable in fitted clothes. Also I mean no disrespect if you aren't.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

As usual, max and I are on the same page. Post a pic to assess fit. Show the pant waist and break and jacket from front and back if possible. A quick snap of the shark skin wouldn't be bad either if you have a second unless it's that identical Tommy suit. wedding this weekend or next?

Comment

Working...
          X