OT: Mission to the Edge of Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Mission to the Edge of Space

I know that this is way off topic, but I thought there my be a few other space geeks here. The jump is scheduled to begin at 08:30 MDT after a few weather delays. The jump window is really small and conditions must be perfect. Felix Baumgartner will ascend to 120,000 feet before leaving the capsule and freefalling at supersonic speed. If successful he will break Col. Kittenger's record set 50+ years ago.

Here is the live feed. http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Enjoy!

I believe he'll also be the first person to break the sound barrier in free fall.

Comment

Alan, that is correct. I don't know the technical term but he will essentially nose dive causing him to achieve supersonic speed. One of the coolest parts of the mission is Felix will have Joseph Kittinger on the ground coaching him.

Here is the embed link if anyone has issues with the first link.

Comment

The guy must be a tad nervous right now.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this! I had been kind of following this jump a while back, but I didn't realize it was finally today.

Comment

For anyone that enjoys reading I highly suggest Mr. Kittinger's autobiography; Come Up and Get Me.

Comment

I think that jump is going to be pretty awesome. He's honna be in a free fall for 5 minutes. Dude can check email read the business section and still finish a cup of joe. Lol. He's jumped what was it 2500 times.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

Now's the time.

Comment

cancelled due to wind Stupid mother nature ruining our fun!

Comment

Yup and they have one balloon left for tomorrow. In my opinion they need to do it no later than 8:00am ET.

They were saying that there was a third minute window. I don't know why they didn't start blowing the balloon up sooner to get into that window.

Comment

Working...
                    X