New to Tie Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Tie Bars

I've never worn a tie bar before but was considering picking 1 up since I was already placing an order for a few ties from tiebar.com.

1. Is there a rule on what width a tie bar should be in relation to the tie? For example, if the tie is 3", what size tie bar should I buy? Or is it all personal preference?

2.Since I'm only buying 1, I'd want one that would be pretty versatile. I'm thinking a plain silver one should fit that bill. Feel free to suggest others.

3. Is there a general consensus as to exactly how far up/down the tiebar should be worn?

Thanks in advance.

1. Not sure if there is an exact rule on the proportion length, but I just say make sure the tie bar isn't longer than the width of the tie.

2. Yea a plain silver 1 1/2" should suit you well

3. This is personal preference. Some go middle of shirt, some go super high. I tend to tell people to place it between halfway between the top & middle of your shirt. Check out my last WIWT for reference

Again. These are only my opinions, others may suggest differently. Ultimately you must do what is most comfortable to you.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
    #StayDapper

Comment

Hey, there isn't a real rule to width but hard and fast is to keep the bar shorter than the tie. And remember the length of the tie is at its longest point, unless it's a slim tie. So if your wearing a 3 in tie go with a bar that's about 2.5 but less than the three. Typically, the clip hits right above the fourth button down from the top. It really depends on your shirt but I would say about 1in above the bottom of your sternum for good reference.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

MaxMan and SDot have it with the width; your tie bar shouldn't be wider than your tie. I personally prefer to aim for the tie bar to be either almost the same width as the tie or about halfway across the width of the tie.

Additionally, a plain silver bar is probably as simple and flexible a style as you can get for a tie bar in terms of tone (though it is worth mentioning that if you are a consistently "match your metals" kind of guy, like me, then you want to match the color of your tie bar to the metal tone of your belt buckle, watch, and any rings or other jewelry you may be wearing).

Between the 3rd and 4th buttons is where I wear my tie bars and, according to what I've heard, it's also the currently fashionable place to wear it. I've also heard that between the 2nd and 3rd buttons was the classic placement for a man's tie bar, but that positioning doesn't do much for me (I'm 6'7"). Arguably, you could wear your tie bar where ever it most suits your body shape and shirt cut but between the 3rd and 4th button probably isn't a bad place to start or you can try MaxMan's 1in below the bottom of the sternum, which I haven't heard before but certainly sounds like it would work.

If you do find out that you enjoy wearing tie bars, I would recommend checking out local thrift stores. Half the tie bars I own I got from thrift stores and the styles tend to be a little more exotic than what you come across in your average department store.

Comment

Piggybacking off of the original post, is there a difference in the way that a tie bar and a tie clip should be worn? I've always worn my tie clip clipped to my plackets, but I saw someone wearing a tie bar without attaching it to his plackets the other day. I thought it defeated the purpose of the tie clip, but wanted to see if that was how it was supposed to be worn or not.

Comment

I've always clipped it to the placket or else, as you said, what's the point in wearing one?

Comment

@Saporitoe you're right...it defeats the purpose if it's not attached to your placket. Maybe he didn't know it wasn't attached? Anywho...to each its own.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
              #StayDapper

Comment

Working...
              X