Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I take care of new leather shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I take care of new leather shoes?

Hey guys, just bought my first pair of somewhat nice leather shoes since I've been a member of this site (http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/14097-200.html). What do I need to buy and apply, and how often, in order to make them last? Any tips on continued care? I know shoe trees, but that's about it. Thanks.

So, uh, anyone?

Comment

Hey dangle, I think you need to be careful with the care of these shoes as they appear to have contrasting thread on the sole connectors. You should definately apply leather honey to keep the leather moist and breathable as leather does breathe. Then apply neutral wax or creme to them set for about 10 mins then shine buff etc. I tend to do that when I see the color shine starting to fade which is usually every few weeks or so. As stated before be careful with the threading because I think you would want that color to stay

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Are be bourgeois like me and take them to get shined professionally every 2-3 weeks depending on wear .

I go to a guy inside Nordstrom near my house. Only charges $2.50 a pair. He does an AWESOME job so I usually give him a total of about $7-8 a pair.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
        #StayDapper

Comment

@Maxman, could you link me to, or name some products you recommend for leather honey, wax/creme, and a shine/buff kit? I am literally a rookie to leather shoe care. Thanks.

Comment

Here is one of the better videos I've seen on shoe care, courtesy of Mr Porter and the "Shoe Snob":

http://www.mrporter.com/journal/jour...dgeV1-_-250912

Comment

@Dangle, it seems like everyone has their own method and specific products they like for shoe care. For a shoe like that you have 2 basic things to keep up on: keeping the leather moisturized, and shining.

I have both Lexol leather conditioner (cheap) and Allen Edmonds leather conditioner. I cannot speak to which one is better, they both do the trick. Wipe down shoe with damp (not wet) cloth. Let dry. Apply conditioner every now and then (my way is not a science) and let dry over night before polishing.

For polish, purchase a neutral wax polish or a color that matches the leather (this will stain the contrasting thread). The big thing to keep in mind is use a smaaaaaaall amount of polish. Less than you'd think. A tiny amount. It goes really far. I just use old t-shirts or socks to apply polish. Spread evenly across the shoe. Let dry for awhile (10-15 minutes, some say 30). Then get a clean soft cotton cloth and wipe off the excess polish. Get a new clean cloth or horsehair brush and buff the hell out of it til shiny.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@dangle: don't know your location but you can get Neutral Meltonian Shoe Cream from most local shoe repair shops. Lexol leather condtioner, horsehair brushes etc. can be procured from Walmart, shouldn't run you more than $10 - $15.

Comment

I found Meltonian cream in virtually every color at my local boot shop, but if you've got contrast stitching, I concur with the concensus regarding going neutral. If you scuff them up and need some color back in them, either be very slow and careful or take them to a pro.

Comment

FYI, all the Allen Edmonds shoe care products are on sale through today:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoe+Care+Products_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_216_216__subcategory

Horsehair brushes are $5.95, conditioner $4.21, etc...

Comment

This is perhaps a little off-topic, but I picked up a new pair of shoes in an interesting shade of brown a couple of months back and they got scuffed something hard on the toes during work a few times. I've been looking for the right color of polish to pick up but my expertise admittedly ends at Wal-Mart.

Anyone know of any product lines or stores that carry a diverse range of shoe polish colors?

Comment

Just posting to bookmark this thread since there's so subscribing yet. Don't mind me.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Greg_s has described exactly what I do. (Greg_s, how do you know what I do with shoes in the privacy of my own home?)

Comment

If you want to take care of your shoes the traditional way, you've - basically - got three options: 1)polishes/waxes, 2)conditioners/oils, & 3)protectants/silicones.

Polishes and waxes will mean that you're going to have to find the right color polish or use a neutral and get a brush, a towel, etc. to polish them up with. You'll also need to continue to do it every couple days - seemingly - to keep a worthwhile shine. Lincoln is a good brand, Kiwi is the standard but IMO not that good, and there are tons more out there to waste a bunch of money trying. Waxes will work for the most part to waterpoof your shoes as well, and you'll probably get a somewhat nice shine. IMO it just isn't worth it to even waste your money on them - the same technology has been used for a hundred years and they don't do much and take WAY too much time!

Oils/conditioners are somewhat a necessity to keep leather supple and pliable. It's good to have a good leather conditioner around to use every month - or more often - just to keep your leather in top shape. Lexol is a big brand, but there are better ones out there - again way too many to name, and they basically use the same technology. Just use olive oil and you'll save yourself a bunch of money and time.

Protectants/silicones are used for waterproofing. Scotchgard, Lexol again, Kiwi, etc. all use pretty much the same technology - i.e. silicones, fluoropolymers, etc. - to apply a nano-thin layer of silicone that repels water. Problem is it wears off in a few days or weeks at best, so you got to keep buying and applying. Again, not worth the money in my oppinion. Better just to use a wax than a silicone, because it's cheaper and has some conditioning value.

Then, there's new-age products that protect your shoes from scuff marks and stains, repel water and dirt, and last for years on end. The only one that I know about is SKUFF Protective Coatings. It uses a resin that forms a clear coat over shoes/leather that does everything mentioned above and lasts considerably longer and even adds a glossy shine. I use it, and my dress shoes are still shined after 2 years and - besides some creasing - look brand new. Stick with traditional or be smart and save yourself time and money by using something like this.

Comment

I do what Greg does but with different times. I apply Conditioner/Cleaner on the shoe then wait 10 minutes per shoe. Then I apply AE shoe polish (its a wax/cream hybrid) wait 5-10 minutes per shoe and then use an old T shirt to polish, followed by polishing with a brush, followed by polishing with the T-shirt again. Then I apply Heel/sole dressing to the sides

I do this with old worn out shoes as well:

Comes out like (I used a darker polish):

[img]//i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/acousticfoodie/ScreenShot2012-08-15at65924PM.png[/img]

As far as the frequency goes, I polish whenever I feel the shoe looks like it needs it and condition every two months

Comment

Working...
                              X