No announcement yet.

As the name says I am new to this whole thing any and all advice appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the name says I am new to this whole thing any and all advice appreciated

Ok so I am leaving teaching and headed into consultative sales and it's time to step my game up. I am 27 and if all pans out I can start to afford to dress like an actual grown up for the first time in my life. Basically I need to start from scratch and have spent some time reading up on some of these fine articles about how to get a suit or two that I can afford. Basically I am looking for a guide to where to start, let's pretend my house just burned down and I've got no clothes and about $1,000 to start. I need to know what's acceptable besides just a suit in a buisness setting (medical service sales in Doctor's offices) What to get as far as a basic arsenal to build on over time casual-wise? Basically any and all help would be appreciated here as a lot of you seem to have a good idea what's going on. I should ad that I am only 5'6" and about 185 athletic build, 32-33W 30L so if theres any short stocky dudes that could suggest where to shop, because most of the Express/Gap/Mall stores seem to be for the tall, thinner guys. I realize this is a lot of questions, but everybody's got to start somewhere. Here's hoping for some help.

Thanks in Advance,

The New Guy

Do you know your jacket size? I don't mean to shill, but I just picked up a Burberry suit that I'm looking to either flip or return to the store because it doesn't fit me. The US size equivalent is about 46 S, but it seems like it's a little slimmer than that. You sound like you may be in that ballpark.

It's a medium grey with light stripes. It was originally an $1100 suit, but I'll settle for $300. I know that's not the response you were looking for in this thread, but I don't come across a lot of people that are around that size. It's brand new with the tags. I just bought it two days ago.

Comment

Thanks but I think I'm around a 38s

Comment

I certainly don't mean to second-guess you (and I won't bug you about the suit anymore), but are you sure? I'm 5'10" and 190 and I'm about a 40R. So if you're 4 inches shorter and practically the same weight, where is all that weight located? I guess it's not that big of a deal since anyone with a tape measure can tell you. I'm just curious.

Comment

Welcome @TheNewGuy

To keep it simple and direct:

brown shoes/black shoes http://www.dsw.com/shoe/giorgio+brut...2,dsw4cat70002

2 white dress shirts http://www.tmlewin.com/Shirts/Mens-Shirts,en_US,sc.html (4 for $160)

2 blue dress shirt

2 patterned dress shirt (blue based)

2 patterned dress shirt (white base)

black slacks

navy slacks http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=905686002

brown belt/black belt (reversible if you're on a budget)

http://www.lastcall.com/p/Neiman-Marcus-Leather-Belt-Belts/prod9620054_cat000000__/?eItemId=prod9620054&cmCat=search&searchType=GUIDE D&icid=home2a+P4E+MensSale&rte=%252Fstore%252Fcata log%252Ftemplates%252FP4E.jhtml%253FparentId%253Dc at000000%2526itemId%253Dcat000002%2526N%253D429496 7141%252B4294966499%2526icid%253Dhome2a%252BP4E%25 2BMensSale

This will get you started and will be less than $1000

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
          #StayDapper

Comment

Great advice SDot, definitely feeling those shoes. Thanks again. And Alan, I don't know for sure but I guess I'm just dense brother, that being said I haven't been measured in a bit and may have thickened up a bit since then.

Comment

I regards to shoes, the Stafford wingtips at JC Penney are $60 and have garnered praise around here. Their boot-version cousins have done well, too, but they're not as versatile.

If you need a few ties, give Marshall's a look. They're not all winners, but they're generally in the $10-15 range, and you can find some surprisingly good stuff.

If you only have one suit, it should be either solid dark grey or solid navy. Most people around here swing towards grey, but I personally prefer navy as a starter. Down the road, you'll feasibly have one of each, anyway, so it's just a matter of which one you want first. I don't see how you can be in sales without a suit, though. At the very least, consider a sport coat in either navy or grey.

Comment

I've got one black suit, did the job for the interview but a bit too tux-y. I was thinking Navy as my next move. Going to hit DSW, Marshalls, Ross, Burlington Coat Factory and the like tomorrow and start hunting for some gems. Sdot, I like those BR pants but wonder if I can get a better deal, although I assume they will probably look nicer and hold up longer than the probably synthetic 50$ jobs that I was working with as a teacher and have basically worn through. Those wingtips aren't half bad, and as I am looking for a new black and brown shoe I may have to pick up a pair. Anyone care to weigh in on the black shoes with navy controversy? I feel like the Brutini in brown would be a nice pickup but Id need to find the right belt to match, and feel like the combo would be a bit loud with a navy suit. Thanks guys and feel free to keep the links/recommendations coming.

Comment

Don't disregard Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you, either. That's where I found my $100 Burberry.

Comment

Tan/ brown shoes will go with both navy and grey suit. I have personally worn black shoes with navy suit but I would not do it any more. I assume you already have black shoes. Become newsletter subscribers for BR/ bonobos/ Last Call (part of neiman marcus). Gilt and Myhabit are great places to pick up good stuff at very good prices - if you already haven't. Plenty of sales. If you are unsure about sizes especially suit - I would recommend going to a proper shop and getting a good idea about your measurements.

Comment

Nordstrom Rack also has good shoe trees for $12.95, or at least that was the price in my area a couple weeks ago. It shouldn't be much more in other places. Your new shoes will thank you.

Comment

Keep an eye out for sales! And slim fit might not be a good choice for you since you are so stocky. 5'2, 175 here. I wear 42S in Banana Republic and 42S in lots of brands sold at Macy's. Blazers are always a great way to dress up casual Friday.

My biggest piece of advice is don't buy something just because it's a good deal and almost kinda fits. I'm horrible about doing this. Gets your sizes down first.

Comment

@TheNewGuy Black shoes work with both navy slacks and grey/blacks. As for the BR pants, you can definitely fine some cheaper, but I live by their Tailored fit and always recommend them. BR does sales quite often and you can get them for 30 - 40% off.

Like @George said..."Keep an eye out for sales!" If you follow this site daily, you'll see numerous deals coming through and we're a family here...so we look out for our own and let everyone know where the deals are taking place.

#StayDapper

Comment

@SDot: Since we're family, what are you getting me for Christmas? :-O

Comment

@Alan hahaha...i'll find a deal somewhere online and point you to the link...sound good? Cool!

#StayDapper

Comment

Working...
                              X