Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you have invested in your entire wardrobe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you have invested in your entire wardrobe?

After seeing a thread on here about the $1500 wardrobe, I thought it would be interesting to figure out exactly how much I have invested in my clothes. A few things to note before I give my numbers:

- While my wardrobe is based on my personal style, a primary goal was to have all the essential pieces that are considered necessary in a men's wardrobe. Check out PutThisOn's essentials list if you want more details.

- All of my items were purchased new except for my peacoat (which was N.O.S. from the 60's, but I can't technically call it new), Navy Blazer, Oakley Frogskins, and Tie Bar/Cufflinks.

- With the exception of a few shirts from H&M, everything I buy is from mid to high end name brands, and I expect to get many years of use out of them. (H&M shirts are nice, but I expect a shelf life of about 1-2 years for each of them.)

- I'm huge on finding the best deal and have been known to wait for a LONG time to get it at the price I need. It turns out patience is a virtue.

- My sizes on most items (15x35 dress shirts, 31x34 pants, size 13 shoes, etc. Everything that comes with being 6'2"-6'3" and 160 lbs) means items are very tough to find, but when I do, they're normally cheap because so few people actually fit in them properly... hah.

- This price does not include profit I've earned from selling clothing items in the past. They're solely based on what I paid for what I have right now.

- There are a few pieces I still want to get (mainly AE Park Avenues and a vintage midnight blue tuxedo), but they are far from necessary, at least at this point. Hopefully I can add them to the arsenal soon enough.

With that being said, after everything I have approximately $2502 invested in my wardrobe, which includes the following:

- 10 Dress or Oxford Shirts

- 8 Polos

- 9 Sweaters

- 5 Pairs of Dress and Chino Pants

- 3 Pairs of Jeans

- N.O.S. Navy Issue Peacoat

- 4 Jackets (Shell, Windbreaker, Pullover, and Cardigan)

- 5 Hoodies

- 25 Tshirts (20 Solid Color, 5 Logos)

- 6 Pairs of Chino/Khaki Shorts (variety of colors)

- Swim Trunks

- Gym Attire

- 7 Pairs of Shoes (2 Gym, 4 Dress, and 1 Sandal)

- Charcoal Suit (JCrew)

- Navy Blazer

- Black Blazer

- Timex Weekender

- 2 Pairs of Sunglasses (both Oakleys)

- Wallet, Slim Card Case, and Money Clip

- 10 Ties

- Tie Bar, Cufflinks, and Collar Stays

- Miscellaneous (socks, boxers, etc)

Overall, I don't think I did too bad. Total retail value was approximately $9000 not counting the Navy Blazer (it was a bespoke piece I bought off eBay, so that would skew the difference too much). If you guys would like, I could give a more detailed breakdown, but I think this will suffice for now.

Let me know what you guys think!

I never bothered to add it up, and it would be very difficult now. Besides that, there's original retail value, what I paid, and what it's actually worth now. So that makes 3 difference ways to value it all. Sounds like a lot of work...

Comment

It really wasn't that hard... it took me about 30 minutes to put together the inventory list and price that I paid. Retail would be tougher, but isn't necessary. Mine was estimated based on normal retail rates for pieces from those brands. I really based this thread on how much I paid for everything. Plus this is dappered, members very rarely pay full retail for anything... hah

Comment

A lot.

Comment

If I were to calculate what I paid vs retail, I'm pretty sure it would be less than half. Probably somewhere near 40%.

Comment

I have 99% of everything I've ever purchased and still have recorded on my computer, but I'm not going to say how much I spent...

One thing I will say is that my homeowner insurance policy is based on replacement value, so it doesn't really matter what I paid for it. It matters how much it costs to replace it on a dime if I had to, and, at retail, it costs way too much not to have it recorded.

Comment

what @frost said.

My retro Jordan collection is enough on it's own not to mention

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
              #StayDapper

Comment

I started out with the $1500 wardrobe as my guide and have spent about $2500 since I started a year ago. A lot of that was spent on things I've since donated since I didn't figure out sizing at first.

Comment

$2000 shoes (15 pairs)

$1500 suits (2)

$3000 sport coats (17)

$1000 outerwear (3)

$1500 shirts (20, mostly mtm)

$700 pants (12 pairs)

$500 undergarments, socks, pajamas, ties, belts, pocket squares

So a bit over $10k. I probably would have been better off with about half as much.

Comment

do you seriously own seventeen blazers and no sweaters?

Comment

i just don't get why folks use the word "invested" regarding purchases of things like clothes. it's not an investment. you've just spent a ton load of money on stuff that's depreciating quickly and offers no return save the psychic one of feeling good and looking

good. i guess what it does is help us big clothes shoppers rationalize what we're doing but, really, it is not 'investing'.

iow, the title of this thread should be: how much have you spent on your entire wardrobe. or sunk into. or squandered.

i mean, let's call a spade a spade. imho. i could be wrong. etc.

Comment

I forgot about sweaters. I've got about a dozen I think. Most are still packed away for winter. Most are cheap, probably around $700 or so all together.

I have many more jackets because I live in Seattle and its only sweater weather for maybe four months out of the year. I wear a jacket every day just about, regardless of weather. I have light linen and cotton for summer, and heavy wools for winter. Plenty of thick cotton and corduroy for in between.

Comment

Clothing is an investment in the same way that exercise is.

Some people might argue about quality clothing vs cheap clothing as well, but that's mostly BS.

Comment

Flipper: investment may have been the wrong word. However, my stuff isn't based on current trends, but rather pieces that will last me a long time and still be stylish (assuming my sizing doesn't change too much). So it's not an investment where I can resell them for more later, but one where I can get more than enough use to justify the cost.

Sdot: I used to be a sneaker collector as well. That's where my appreciation for dressing well started. About two years ago, I had approximately 175 pairs, and realized I only worn 6 of them consistently. Instead of sitting on everything, I sold the rest off over the next six months.

Comment

It's not technically an investment, no, since the objects don't usually increase in monetary value. But of course this is using the word in a metaphorical sense, because the money one puts into clothing can (but doesn't always) lead to increases in utility that far outweigh the monetary cost. That's a metaphorical investment. Sometimes, this can even get someone a better job, which often leads to more money (people who look put together are objectively far more likely to get job offers than people who look slovenly). You're obviously thinking along the lines of someone who says "a car isn't an investment, and you're an idiot for thinking it is." Well, please stop being so picky about semantics. That person's car allows them to get to work, which allows them to get a salary. If you were running a factory, would you not consider the initial purchase of the factory machinery as something akin to an investment? That capital will depreciate, sure, but it produces something else of value in the process. (And no, I don't mind when people end sentences with prepositions, either.)

Comment

Working...
                              X