Quilted Layering Vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilted Layering Vest

I saw this today and am slightly intrigued by it but i have no clue how pull it off. Any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_ca...~~~~/47752.jsp

I have seen some picture floating around of people putting those things on right over suit jackets.

Comment

I want it. I've wanted it for quite some time, actually. Just hoping that it gets a little further down in price before I pull the trigger.

Comment

I recently picked up a full-sleeve version from a different maker (similar to a traditional Barbour quilted jacketr). I haven't worn it yet, though. I'm also struggling to get use to it.

Comment

My brother got me that vest in black last christmas. That thing is super versatile. I wore it over OCBD's to work at least a coule times a week. I wore it under the grey J Crew corduroy blazer that Joe liked so much last year. I ride a motorcycle and I would often just throw it over a long sleeve t-shirt. I could totally see this with a silk knit tie, in fact thanks for this thread, I am going to thetiebar.com and picking up a burgundy tie. Pull the trigger, you wont regret it.

Comment

@alan and @CJJ - to do wear it over a suit jacket should I go up a size? Like I wear medium of most tops, and 38 chest in a suit - maybe I should get a large?

Comment

For me this vest is a bit fitted in an XL but then again I am a 44/46 chest. It does have some play and tabs on the sides to bring it in a bit. Personally I would go up a size, but then again I dont like my close to be too fitted.

Comment

JT10000: First of all, that's not a look for everybody so be sure you're comfortable with it. Second, if it requires sizing up then I would have second thoughts since you're taking away the versatility of wearing it with other things. I've got some pieces like an overcoat that is intentionally sized up to wear over a suit, but I pretty much ONLY ever wear it over a suit. It would look too big on me without those extra layers.

Comment

Not only can you do a vest like this over a suit jacket/sportcoat/blazer but you can do it under one too: http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-luke-on-12th-st-nyc/

Though the vest worn here is a little more substantial (makes me wonder if he had to buy a sportcoat in a larger size just so that he could wear this combo) a thinner vest like the J. Crew Factory one would likely be able to go under a lot easier. Though, as mentioned, you might need to size up if you're looking to go over a sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket.

Comment

Thanks - I'm only going to wear it over a suit jacket or blazer (or maybe over a very big ski sweater) as I've got some nice fleece vests to wear under other things, over over a trimmer shirt or sweater. So a little big is good.

But I went to a J.Crew today and tried on another of their vests - the Broadmor, which is a little pricier. Medium fit over my blazer. Large fit more easily, but looked a little too loose. I didn't like the price or earthiness of it - wanted something a little slicker. Not sure if I'll try for Factory vest.

This is the look I want:

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaib...um/BW008_1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X