Thoughts on these western ropers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on these western ropers?

I'm considering getting my first pair of western boots, but nothing over the top. I'm thinking of adding these to my Christmas wish list:

http://www.cavenders.com/western/cowboy-boots/mens-boots-shoes/roper-boots/LN8793C2#

I think ropers are the way to go for me. They don't have a really high shaft (which I don't need) and the heel is shorter and unchiseled so it should blend in better with things I already own. And the toe isn't pointy or too bulbous, either. I'm also avoiding any exotic leathers. And for anyone unaware, Lucchese makes some of the best off-the-shelf boots in the business.

What do you all think?

Alan- I think they look really good. I work for the Forest Service and often wear chelsea boots to work, but have often dreamed of purchasing a pair of western boots. These point me a good direction - thanks!

Comment

This question illustrates why I have steered clear of western boots. It isn't that I don't like them, but that I feel there's an inherent dilemma involved in the choice of toe shape.

It's impossible to wear a pair of traditionally-shaped western boots without looking like YOU'RE WEARING SOME MOTHERF-ING COWBOY BOOTS. But at the same time, what's the point of going down the western boot road at all if they don't really look like western boots? To me, the ones you linked look like a basic chelsea with a bit of embroidery on the top that no one will ever see except you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your logic tends toward compromise ("I can get these western boots and still wear them like normal boots") when there are certain iconic things, like a perfect navy suit or the perfect trench coat or the perfect pair of black cap-toes, that really don't lend themselves well to being compromised. I feel like western boots are one of those things.

My inclination is toward the traditional-looking boots. Western boots should be fully embraced if they are to be worn at all. I'd recommend that you reconsider your reasons for purchasing western boots in the first place, and depending on what those reasons are, to take a closer look at the traditional toe boots.

The toe shape I'd choose would be the "snip" toe. The square toes are awful and the pointed toes look like women's shoes. The snip toe is not as feminine, but still elegant and clearly says "COWBOY BOOTS."

My brother has a pair of these and they look good on him, even though he's not especially stylish:

http://www.cavenders.com/western/cowboy-boots/mens-boots-shoes/western-snip-toe-boots/LN155674

The choice is ultimately yours, of course.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: I totaly get what you're saying. However, the other factor is the price. Anything I've seen in a snip toe is a couple hundred more (at least from Lucchese) because it's only offered on more traditional boots which are for some reason more expensive. They also often come couple with a full-on riding heel, and there's no way I'm doing that.

If I could find a chiseled walking heel with a snip toe in a leather similar to the one I linked above, I could go for that. It's somewhere between a roper and full-on traditional cowboy boot. The only problem is, then you're getting into custom territory and the dollars start to really rack up.

Plus I don't want any exotic leathers, and it's just easier to find simple ropers than it is to find simple traditional boots.

Comment

In the spirit of BenR's post, I say you go full on urban cowboy. Red. leather.

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1200000/The-Red-Cowboy-Boots-how-i-met-your-mother-1299243-500-281.jpg

(PS I hate the code used on this board)

Comment

So I went to a western wear store across the intersection from where I work (easy to find when you're in Dallas). I actually found a pair of traditional boots that I liked! I was very surprised.

It's still the same calf skin leather used in the example above. They also have the same toe as the pair I posted earlier, but there's a flourish sewn into the top that gives it more western boot flavor. Plus, it had a full chiseled riding heel which wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I was expecting it to be.

It's basically these, but in the same color as up above:

It's like the archetype for a western boot, IMO.

Comment

I think the raised riding heel and the embroidered vamp set it apart from the first pair you posted (in a good way). To me, these boots would be worth shelling out the extra dough that a decent pair of western boots costs. If you still like the first pair, you can probably find a decent chelsea boot for quite a bit cheaper.

Ben

Comment

@Alan - I don't know anything about Western boots and I don't think I would ever get a pair, but Antonio's pick here looks nice:

http://dappered.com/2012/03/5-favori...en-real-style/

Comment

@Jaun: HA! That is EXACTLY the pair I saw at the store. I've had a hard tmie finding them anywhere online so perhaps they'll be cleared out soon. If so, I'd love to have them. They're still hovering above the $300 mark.

Comment

I am a big fan of cowboy boots & have a few. As BenR stated, you should embrace them all-out or not bother.

You didn't really state why you plan on wearing the boots (work, hike, dress, casual, etc.), but you may want to put some thought into that before settling on something. An all-leather sole isn't going to provide the same look/feel/function as something with grip/traction.

I have something pretty close to the below for bad-weather/mud-wear/****-kicking/etc. Keep an eye out for deals, as I got mine at half the listed price.

http://www.ariat.com/Western/Men/Footwear/WesternWork/IronsideH2O.html?color=DUSTED_BROWN

I also have some "dressed-up" boots that I can even pull-off with a suit (& no one has ever said they're "feminine"), but those were pretty expensive even at a discount.

Last thing I'll suggest is trying on whatever brands you're considering. I definitely ruled out a few options when I visited a store the last time (you can always watch online for sales once you know something that fits well, or try & haggle with the store a bit).

Good luck.

Comment

I'm not a cowboy/western boots person, likely due to not being around the culture. I prefer the British motorcycle boots. These are good examples, though very pricey:

http://www.belstaff.com/BANBRIDGE%20BOOT/71118002-8,en_US,pd.html?start=5&cgid=123

http://www.belstaff.com/BARRINGTON%20BOOT/71118001-1,en_US,pd.html?start=2&cgid=123

What do you plan on wearing the boots for?

Comment

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Since I don't intend to own many pairs (likely not more than one or two at the most), I'm looking for something as versatile as possible. This means finding something dressy enough to wear with a suit. I figure it's easier to dress them down than it is to dress them up, and they will be both for dress and casual. I want something with a leather sole, not something rugged for off-roading. I'm also going to be particular about which brands I'm willing to buy. That's why Lucchese is at the top of the list right now. I won't rule out a custom job, but only if I can find them cheap enough (and that's highly unlikely in Dallas).

The ones I'm looking at are in the link that Juan posted. Those are literally the same boots I saw in the shop on my lunch break. They're distinctly "western" while at the same time easier to integrate into looks I already wear. The traditional calf skin and finish make it more versatile, IMO.

Comment

Alan,

I whole-heartedly agree & Lucchese has been known to make some great boots. I have a pair of "Rod Patrick" boots that are the most comfortable footwear I've ever tried on, but they do tend to be rather expensive. You might want to consider "Twisted X" as well, if you can find them to see/try-on.

Good luck with it.

Comment

@hornsup84 - "pulling...them...off...". I know it's a little off topic but I'm a big fan of the show.

Comment

I picked up these Resistol Ranches by Lucchese on ebay new in the box. Even after shipping, they're about 65% off of retail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330806218369

They're ropers like the first pair at the top of the post, but they were cheap enough that I'm willing to give them a shot. The whole thing about, "If you're going to get something that looks like a chelsea then you might as well get a chelsea for cheaper," doesn't really apply here because these are actually cheaper than a decent chelsea and I don't like the side goring on most chelseas.

I can't find a better online, but the one I've come closest to is these:

http://www.lucchese.com/products_detail.php?id=2734

The ebay pics make the shoes look collapsed, but they'll fill up like the pic above once I get my feet into them.

I'm still on the look-out for something nicer in brown with a more traditional western profile along the lines of the one I was last talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X