Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beej
    replied

Glen, it does require a little panache, but don't all styles? Main thing is, if you are going to go sockless, go sockless. Don't just wear no show socks, get the whole experience.

Leave a comment:

• andrew7
    replied

Hilarious....well played Ben. His followup post may be just as good, but he only highlights what seems to be said here.....great look and comfortable for summer but not for everybody.

http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2011/09/...ful-socks.html

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied

from the Trad, on fall

"The frantic-manic-mania of 'Prep Summer' is finally over. All that color and critter crap goes out the bare ankle door while crisp Autumnal skies speak to languid hosiery and relaxed maturity. Cotton madras becomes tartan wool. White linen turns to black & gray hues of Harris tweed. Calm is restored by burning leaves and only the grown ups are allowed matches... Which means, little ones, it's time to put on your fucking socks."

Leave a comment:

• MickyO
    replied

I believe sockless is almost a must with loafers, but no other dress shoes. I go sockless with canvas shoes and boat shoes, mostly when I wear shorts, but sometimes with jeans or pants too. It's a more casual look, definitely. I wouldn't do it while wearing a suit to a more serious affair.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Court
    replied

Glen, Figure, Cannon, thanks for all the suggestions. I think that Band-Aid stick dealy sounds like it might be the move. And I think my wife actually has one. I haven't given up yet!

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

I think it takes some confidence and enjoying your personal style. It's certainly a preppy look. I do it all summer long and pretty much in anything outside of wearing a suit. Most casual settings I am sans socks. I rock it to work and women on the train eye me up and down. Then they see my wedding ring and don't waste their time talking to me lol.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

A thin layer of vaseline on your skin at points where your feet will rub too much or blister is good prevention and lasts a while

Leave a comment:

• Figure.N9ne
    replied

Matt: You usually need to break in the shoes a bit, and also condition you feet for a bit to going sockless. Wear it to the store for 30 minutes, don't go to an amusement park like that at first. Also, I think it's Band-aide that sells a lube stick that you put on the parts of your feet the rub on the shoe, it's like a mini-deoderant stick. It helped a lot when I first started going sockless.

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

Lol. You might need to break in your shoes, still. My boat shoes rubbed my ankles raw for the first few wearings, but now they feel like slippers. Also, foot powder.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Court
    replied

I tried the sockless loafers situation out for the first time this summer. Just got some Geox loafers and figured I'd go for it. Loved the look with a nice pair of khaki chinos and a light blue oxford shirt. However, I will say that it tore the crap out of my feet. Not sure if I just need to condition my feet a little more or if I was doing too much walking.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

The first two images look a little ridiculous because the shoes are feminine, not because he has no socks on. Plus it looks like he shaves his feet and ankles... Weird.

The first image in the third link isn't so bad, but his WHOLE outfit needs help. Double breasted tux with overstated shoes and his pants puddling at his ankles? Can't these people hire style consultants?

Kanye looks pretty good! The loafers with no socks are very subtle, just the right amount of break in his pants. His jacket is FAR too tight on him though. Maybe it's because he has his hands in his pockets, but the lapels shouldn't be creasing like that at all.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

I am a size 12! But I think loafer look like a chunky shape in general. Normal and unremarkable is not always bad. I don't think a whole lot of strikingly noticeable ankle glimpses looks better than normal sneakers, which I am sure we all go for often on purpose anyways. I am not interested in being original with my ankles. I'd rather stick to some classic looks I find to look nice, normal, and plenty less silly. It is all opinion of course, but I think socks make it looks more complete and an ankle is not flattering to your outfit. A nice, groomed, good condition women's ankle? Sure. A man's ankle? Not that nice.

This:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/97846/thumbs/s-ED-WESTWICK-large.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/97846/original.jpg

Weird and silly and women's-flatsy looking to me.

These guys don't make it better to me either:

http://www.roc4life.com/profiles/blo...ing-suits-sans

Leave a comment:

• chern
    replied

I'm only 5'8 myself. I went sockless with some light brown Weejuns and grey slacks this weekend at a wedding. At times I would purposely cross my leg over my knee to confidently expose my ankle. Haha, I think it's completely ok to pull off.

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

Hmm. I just perceive it as the opposite. If someone goes sockless with nice pants or nice shoes it strikes me as original and understated. When I see people without socks with sneakers, at best it looks normal and unremarkable.

And the thing is, I could definitely see Daniel Craig James Bond without socks.

I also like loafers in moderation, but I also have smaller, slender feet. I could see how it might be different if you were a size 12.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

It looks like women's slippers or silly women's flats on a man to me when they are without socks. Now with shorts, it looks much better, though still not a sleek shoe in my opinion. In the heat, it makes sense, but there are more achievable looks than sock less loafers. I just think it looks odd like socks were forgotten so now it looks like you wore pants with an inseam too short and are exposing bare ankles accidentally and awkwardly. The less formal, the better if you decide on sock less. I think a sneaker without socks is fine.

I am trying to picture Daniel Craig as James Bond with NO SOCKS. It isn't working. I just can't see it.

I know people disagree, but I think it is best to go with socks if you are in a long pant or jeans, and a sneaker shoe of some sort if you wear shorts. And hell, I just don't buy any loafers because I just find them so clunky and unflattering.

Note: Mac is autocorrecting to sock less as two words, but I will continue to use it anyways.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X