What to wear with a Navy blazer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear with a Navy blazer?

I just bought my first navy blazer. It's not the traditional brass button model, but a J Crew tweed version with dark buttons instead. I would post a photo, but it's on backorder and seems to have been removed from their website right now.

What do I wear with a Navy Blazer? J Crew shows it with dark jeans. That's fine most of the time, but what are my other options? I expect the occasions will include date night and business meetings. Link to photos if you have them!

(Also - blazer, sport coat? What's the difference?)

It's great for a date night! Pair it with chinos (khaki, grey, brown) and dressy boots or longwings. Navy is just one of those blessed coloars that works with just about anything. You'll be more restricted by the material than by the color.

If it's tweed, it'll work just fine in a business casual setting, but probably not if you're presenting to the board. You can wear a tie with it, but consider rough materials like cotton or wool over silk.

As for the difference between a blazer and a sport coat... Technically, a blazer is more formal than a sport coat, and what you're describing is a sport coat. However, in today's world, the two terms are practically interchangeable.

Comment

If you want to search for yourself online, also look for examples that use other heavy fabrics like cashmere or camel hair like "navy cashmere blazer". This is a great, classic look:

Comment

Tweed also lends itself well to layering like this:

Comment

Now, picture the image below with a blazer instead of the jacket to get an idea of how navy looks with grey pants. You can wear heavy wool or cotton pants, but avoid fine wool. Hey, if it works for Zegna...

Comment

Just about anything.

Comment

Alan! I love replies like those. Well done - very helpful.

Now, pardon me while I say something completely unhelpful like:

Navy blazers are useless.

;-) I wore one today over a pink shirt with mint green trousers and walnut boots. Borderline peacocking it. The navy helped scale it back down to earth.

Comment

motion seconded on the peacock vote. damn yo...

Comment

Haha skinny Levi 511 trousers in mint, no less. When people talk about swimming in 514s or 511s, I just roll my eyes. 511s are nut huggers!

Comment

What do y'all think of this? http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Mens-C...on-Jacket.html ($193.80 w/ current 15% discount)

Comment

@LosRockets Not sure about the fit but the Navy Donegal looks awfully tempting.. 190$ is a bit out of my reach for now though..

Comment

I'm with nicholascrawford -- I wear lots of navy jackets and pants, but I use them to tone down colors elsewhere. It can be very useful, and I guess I like deep blue better than deep grey for that purpose. Though I have noticed a hate for navy pants (unless it is part of a suit) elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X