State of the Lapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the Lapel

Can someone explain to me why THIS absurd look is coming back!?

http://www.suitsupply.com/suit-green-plain-san%20diego-p3362/P3362,en_US,pd.html?start=3&cgid=Suits

...wow. An incredibly wide peak lapel is one thing, but that..

Must.... refrain.... from.... obvious...... JOKES!.....

When was something like that in style last? Mid-70s?

Comment

And I thought the tie had to match the lapels in width. This guy obviously needs a second tie next to the first one to get the correct width.

Comment

Kenneth, this is the equivalent of a 50 year old man driving a sports car with a convertible top. It's a way of saying to the world, "My penis may be miniscule and dysfunctional, but I still have the attitude of a teenage male!"

Comment

With a ticket pocket, no less. Looks like it's got multiple personality disorder.

Comment

They may have obtained a lost shipping container from the 1920s at a discount that they're re-branding as the San Diego cut.

Comment

Perhaps it blooms once every 90 years?

Comment

Keep in mind SuitSupply does a lot (probably the majority?) of its business in continental Europe, where men's style tends to be a little more flamboyant than here in stodgy North America. The fact SuitSupply is selling this style doesn't necessarily mean freakishly wide lapels are "coming back" anytime soon or even that the company expects to sell very many outside the high-fashion European market.

Having said that, of course, suit lapels have been trending narrow for so long that it shouldn't come as a surprise if they start to swing a bit wider in the next few years. The fashion industry's got to keep us buying new product, after all. I've been dreading the return of '70s trends for a while now.

Ben

Comment

Now now Brusch, if I see a 50 year old man with a drop top super sports car I go, he either got paid or divorced.

You may be the only one thinking of his wang

Comment

"Borrowing" Tom Ford styling?

Comment

shad0w4life, Maybe they're just on the mind.

Sports cars.

Comment

I've seen 70's style coming back in more casual clothes, I didn't think it had extended to suits yet. I hope it doesn't.

Comment

While I don't think one random jacket from Suit Supply signifies a width shift in lapels across the board, I do often think that this community (and other communities like it) are mistaken in thinking that details such as lapel and tie width that we consider stylish will always remain stylish (or even that they always were stylish). Just my $.02

Comment

True, but since tie widths have varied by about 4-1/2 inches over the better part of 100 years, I think shooting for the middle is a pretty safe bet.

You know, until we're all wearing star trek uniforms.

Comment

Working...
                            X