The AE's in my desk drawer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AE's in my desk drawer

So I've had a pair of AE Van Nesses in my desk drawer for months. I bought them all the way back when the 2 for $200 sale was going on. When they came in, I decided I would keep them despite being pretty tight width-wise. I was just going to go have them professionally stretched (which I wasn't gonna risk doing myself on brand new $300+ shoes). So I brought them to work to take them to the cobbler on my lunch break and never got around to it. Then, I forgot about them entirely...

Until today. I pulled them out of the drawer where I noticed they've been in shoe trees this whole time, and I noticed that the shoes trees filled them up pretty well. So I put them on and voila! They actually fit! So now I have a new pair of AE's for the rotation! :-)

The menswear equivalent of finding a $20 bill in an old jacket.

Comment

I just had a similar thing happen. I bought some Cole Haan Air Grant driving mocs, which everyone said to size up because they would stretch. After a few excruciating sessions where I wore them with without socks, I put them up in my closet with some Rack shoe trees in them.

Came back after a trip and other busyness to try them on about a month later, they fit perfect.

Comment

reminds me of the break even Jerry Seinfeld episode.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

It's like Christmas in October.

Comment

I'm really hoping that a past version of me bought a bunch of AEs and hid them around my own place. I'll have a look after dinner, and then get really disappointed when I realize that past me would not even have understood what present me is looking for.

Comment

Here's the real question, where has Alan been the last few months!?

Comment

@Kenneth: Self-imposed spending hiatus.

We adopted an elderly dog that turned out to be much sicker than we realized. :-( We didn't give up on her, but it took a major chunck out of our bank account. In the end, we couldn't win, but we did give her a happy home for her last days.

To top it off, my wife took a pay cut when she moved to a new job. With the unfortunate financial strain, I took a break from the site to avoid any temptation at a time where we couldn't afford it. Things are still tight, but that's just how it's going to be until I finish grad school. I just figured there's no point in hiding anymore.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog, I battled cancer with my last dog so I'm all too familiar with the situation.

It may be selfish of me, but I hope you stick around. I myself haven't bought anything in quite some time, I just surf the site and forums to chat with others about what interests me.

Comment

Alan, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Was it the little Sheltie that you mentioned?

Comment

@bruschetta: That's the one. We got lots of smiley pictures, though. The whole experience wasn't a regrettable train wreck. We have plenty of fond memories. Didn't mean to drag this whole thread down. :-S

Comment

#f-yeahmenswear

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I love my Van Nesses. What color are yours, Alan?

Comment

Working...
                          X