Another post on slim fit shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another post on slim fit shirts

I recently tried on some slim fit shirts and would like to share my thoughts. The Nordstrom trim fit (not the John W Nodrstrom brand, that's one tier up) ones are pretty good for around $34 at Nordstrom Rack. A pleasantly surprising find was the 14th and Union brand shirt, slimmer than most other shirts I have tried on, and for only $25. This was an unknown brand to me, but I recommend those of you who want slimmer plain white shirts on a budget to try it. I have only seen this brand at Nordstrom Rack.

Another thing I found out was that all the following brands seem to share to same fit system: Geoffrey Beene, DKNY, Kenneth Cole, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen. In the back of their plastic bag packing, they all share one picture depicting three fits: regular, slim fit and fitted, each one more slim than the previous (that's right, fitted is slimmer than slim fit). That same picture leads me to suspect that they are probably manufactured by the same company and just tagged with different brandnames. Then I discovered the following page:

http://pvh.com/brands_licensed.aspx

Am I right to speculate that they probably share the same 3 types of fits (meaning the same mold for each fit). The only fitted one I found was a Geoffrey Beene, and indeed, it's somewhat slimmer than the DKNY/CK/KC slim fit ones I tried on. I found it in Marshalls, only $17. It's got a slightly large chest pocket which may turn some people off, but other than that it's a very good low-budget option.

good info

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Releasing similar products to hit at different markets and price points under different brands isn't all that new. Ford, Mercury, Lincoln were great examples of this; it keeps the brand from being watered-down with too much choice in options.

This smells more like franchising to me, but I'm not all that 'up' on fashion's business world. Maybe someone more knowledgable can weigh in?

Comment

I'm not in the industry, but I dare to guess they use the same or a similar pattern with different materials and details (collars, stitching, etc). From my personal experience, the difference between Geoffrey Beane and DKNY is more than just a label.

Comment

FWIW I think the "fitted" aren't as trim in the sleeves/waist as the "slim."

The new "Alfani Spectrum" shirts are extremely slim throughout, but the sleeves may be a bit short for the typical S/M/L.

Comment

Working...
          X