Clear All

• jicarv
    replied

@Gabe - I ended up getting a belt at Lord & Taylor. I think it's this one:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Men...dtaylor/206097

Leave a comment:

• gabe_gador
    replied

@Juan - did you buy the matching AE strand belt or did you have a belt that was already close in color/shade?

Leave a comment:

• gabe_gador
    replied

Thanks @Juan! I took a closer look on the AE site, and they're indeed pretty distinct from each other : ) I may end up giving the Strand's a go.

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

@ Gabe - I have the Walnut Strand and the Chocolate Dalton...they look totally different. Yes, you can definitely wear the Strands with dress slacks. They also look nice with a suit - see pics here: http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/s...ew-brown-shoes

Leave a comment:

• gabe_gador
    replied

@Juan - I love the Strand but was thinking that the Dalton's look very similar to it. So you'd say that the Strand can be pulled off with dress pants?

@90Shilling - If only the Vernon's were in brown burnished or dark chocolate, I would jump all over them, but saddle brown just seems to light for me.

Leave a comment:

• 90Shilling
    replied

I bought the Vernon's in saddle brown, and they can be pulled off with a pair of dark rinse, slim jeans. They start to look out of place when the jeans are not dark enough, have extra details in the stitching, are too slim, logos, etc... They are a beautiful shoe - highly recommended. The red shades in the saddle brown really pops (can be a good or bad thing depending upon how conservative you want to look).

I also have the AE Fifth avenues in dark brown, and I can confirm that they are too formal to be worn with jeans. They are basically in the same camp as the black/brown Park Avenues.

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

I have the Park Avenue in Black and I will only wear them with a suit. I feel the same way about the Fifth Avenue, which I want to get in Brown at some point. The Strand, or the McAllister are more versatile and can be worn with anything from jeans to suit. I have the Strand in Walnut and they look great with dark jeans.

Leave a comment:

• gabe_gador
    replied

Thanks guys for your input as always!

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied

I just got the Park Aves in black and IMO they're way too formal for jeans. I'm going to use mine strictly for wearing with suits. On the AE website, it lists presidents that were sworn in wearing these shoes. I'd say that's too formal for jeans and slacks.

I also got the McTavish recently and I think those are a great choice for what you're wanting.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

The PA is a pretty conservative, basic oxford. You get more versatility out of it in dark brown as opposed to black, but I don't think I'd wear it with jeans, it's a bit too formal. In any case, I prefer the PA over the Vernon, not a big fan of the perforations on the Vernon upper.

As far as oxfords with jeans, I think it's ok if they're of the wingtip variety (e.g. Strands). It does force you to dress up a bit, but it's a good look in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Well this is just my personal opinion, but I feel like pretty much all balmorals are too dressy for jeans. I'm sure plenty of people will come in after me and disagree.

Leave a comment:

• gabe_gador
    started a topic AE Park Avenues - versatile?

AE Park Avenues - versatile?

I've been on a somewhat lengthy search for a pair of plain toe oxfords (such as the AE Kenilworth's, but my previous posts have explained my issues with that shoe ad nauseum). I'd really like to stick with AE on this one (since I love my Daltons), and I came across the AE Park Avenues. I'd like to be able to wear these with jeans and slacks, and of the two candidates, the Vernon's and Park Avenue's, the Park Avenue's seemed to be more of a fit than the Vernon's (PA's are dark brown and have just the cap toe strip across the top). What do you guys think?

Working...
X