Khaki blazer at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khaki blazer at night?

The wife and I are going out for a nice dinner tomorrow night and I'm wanting to wear one of the blazers I just got back from the tailor. One is a khaki cotton/linen BR that had some structure and the other is the striped J Crew Ludlow mentioned on the main site today. My original plan was to wear the khaki with a red plaid shirt and navy chinos, but I don't know the proper etiquette for khaki after dark (big don't?). The other option is the striped ludlow with navy or mid gray chinos and a white shirt. I'm going to have to defer to those with more knowledge than myself on this one. I will try to post some pictures of the potential options tomorrow.

Countryside Man of Letters

I don't know if there are any "rules" about this either, but here's what I would do; wear one of your darker blazers for dinner and weave the two you got back from the tailor into what you're wearing to work this week. It may not be possible with the dress code of your job, so if that's the case you can thro my advice out the window

Comment

I'm a student, so there's no real dress code. While I'm definitely going to work the blazers in when it cools off, I'm not sure it's gonna work until then though. The J crew blazer is some shade of navy or grey, I can't really tell. It is definitely different enough to not look like a bad attempt at a suit though.

Comment

The dark-jacket-for-dinner thing is mostly for formal events and "jacket required" restaurants, I think. Older folks well versed in the mechanics of style might frown on a light jacket at dinner, and you'll find some bloggers arguing that you naturally look better in a dark jacket at night because of lighting levels. But if you're just a young-ish guy going on a date to a nice restaurant, you'll look damn sharp in a khaki jacket, and no one will even think twice about your choice of colors. But at a dinner meeting at Le Cirque with older clients? I'd wear a dark jacket.

Comment

Ok thanks. I really think the red plaid shirt/khaki jacket combo option looks really sharp. I don't think the restaurant has a jacket policy, I just want to wear one to look sharp for a night out with my wife. I'll see if I can get some pictures up later today.

Comment

Working...
          X