Dockers D1 - am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dockers D1 - am I crazy?

I just sent back a few pairs of Dockers D1 pants because they were like balloon pants on me. I measured the leg openings and they were almost 9" across - how is this slim fit? I'm a bit confused because after some searching around for a bit I found several comments on blogs saying D1 pants were awesome. I'm 5'6" so maybe that has something to do with it? anybody agree or disagree with me here? I'm wondering if there's some difference across colors or locations or something, because the ones I tried were way too baggy.

You aren't crazy. They just aren't anything what Dockers makes them out to be in terms of their fit. I had a pair of them for a while and eventually dropped them off at a local Goodwill.

Comment

D1's are not awesome. I guess they're slim until the knee, but the leg opening is way wide. I've said on other threads that when I wore them it was like I was wearing bell bottoms. I looked ridiculous. You'd be better off going with Rugby university chinos or J.Crew USF. Have both of those and I like them alot.

Comment

I personally like D1's because they're not too tight, but they do make a tapered leg version as well

Comment

it is not crazy, either they fit you well or they don't. I like them because I don't want pants which are ultra slim at the ankles. everyone has a different body and different tastes.

Comment

I think I have an interesting perspective here. I've bought five pairs of D1s--four were in a one-off online purchase, 36"-32"; the other was 36"-30". I typically wear 34"-32/34" Levi's, for reference. The pair with the smaller inseam is *significantly* slimmer all throughout the leg, and also fits me with minimal a break (which is how I'm most comfortable in chinos). I don't remember exactly, but I believe the opening is 8" across, while the knee was about 9". This is according to my tailor (who I had use the smaller D1s as a model for altering another pair of pants).

Comment

Fit is different for everyone. Case in point, I tried on some D1s once, and didn't buy them for the opposite reasoning. They were so tight around my calves that they were difficult to take off. Even if that wasn't the case, tapering below the knee just looks silly on me. Probably has to do with the fact that while I'm not fat, I'm not fashion model material either.

Comment

Well, given that they can be found around $20 a pair, seem high quality, and come in tons of colors, you could just have the leg tapered a bit and still be significantly under what you would probably otherwise be paying.

I also wish the leg opening was a bit smaller, but to be honest, it looks perfectly fine on other people so I think I'm probably being overly picky. If you don't want to take a trip to the alterations place, you could try the new alpine khakis, which say they have a tapered leg despite also saying they are D1 fit.

Comment

20$ plus the cost of tailoring the whole pant? The tailoring would be more than the pant itself.... You might as well pay for a better khaki like J.Crew's USF.

Comment

FYI, guys, Levi's and Dockers vary greatly in fit/material/quality due to the fact that they are made all over the world. Go to a store and check out the labels. Even within the same color, they vary in origin.

That being said, I have 5 D1s and I absolutely love them. I've sent back 2 pairs because of the bell-bottom look, but the fit around my waist/hips/upper thighs is perfect. Legs can be tailored and tapered easily.

Comment

The d1's fit horribly, the new alpha model fits amazingly though. Picked up two pairs of them over the weekend and don't want to wear anything else. I actually had my d1's at the tailor getting tapered and now I don't even feel like picking them up. BTW, the hemming and tapering cost 12 bucks per pair, not really very expensive if you already have the pants and don't like them.

Comment

12$? Looks like it's time for me to find a new tailor...

Comment

Michael, he probably lives in an area with a ton of tailors. Around here (Madison, WI), there are only a handful, so they have a pseudo-OPEC price fixing thing going on where they all charge roughly the same amount, and that same amount is around triple the cost of having the same alteration done in Chicago.

Comment

There is only one tailor where I live, to my knowledge. There are many alterations places. The one I go to has never served me wrong. I would be amazed if she charged me more than $8 to taper the legs of a pair of pants. I think dockers D1s are an amazing deal.

Comment

@lemmy, I don't think this tailor is cheap, that same day he charged me 65 dollars to taper the waist on a jacket which I think is on the high end and probably wont pay that much again.

Comment

Working...
                              X