2012 outerwear...What's in style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 outerwear...What's in style?

Searched and saw some things for 2011 and older. Most likely looking to get a leather and non leather jacket, ideally would love pick up both for under $400...What's in style? Slim fit leather 5-zips? What are the general rules of when to wear leather?

I can't speak to leather as it's not my bag (pun! No? ok.) but a nice navy wool pea coat is always a great choice. There is peacoat thread on the forum right now...

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

My general rule of thumb is to not buy what's considered "in style." Rather buy classic pieces that you can invest in and that will always be wearable no matter what year it is. This is to me the most important.

What do you guys think?

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
      #StayDapper

Comment

Have to agree with SDot...whats in style today, will not be in style next season/year. Stick with something that works for you and that you like. Something that will last you years.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
        -Maximus

Comment

This logic is sound. I'm personally in the same position you are. I'm definitely looking for a pea coat, and I also would like one or two fall jackets. In terms of pea coats, I'm definitely going to be looking for a stylish double breasted, slim number in either a dark (interesting) charcoal or black. I'd really like to have something with a bit of visual depth, but I'm not certain I'll be able to find an acceptable quality wool pea coat that's also interesting in my price range.

As for fall jackets, cotton military jackets with two to four pockets and a stand-up collar (and possibly epaulets) are usually the first ones to catch my attention. The biggest problem (as it always is) is finding something that fits a slim guy through the chest, has some taper into the waist and has sleeves that are both long enough and slim enough. Additionally, I dislike jackets that end right after my pants start: that's too short and doesn't look very good IMO.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

@diversification was funny, was thinking about a similar jacket and could find any that were long. A friend of mine bought jeans at this place and they make custom jackets fairly cheap, in the $150 shipped range. It will also take weeks to receive...

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&product s_id=1403

You can even enter your own measurements yet I'm not sure sleeve slim-ness...Kind of scary ordering a jacket with measurements because there are times I'm going to wear it with a Tshirt and others I'll have 3 layers. Is there a general rule when ordering a slim jacket, increase measurements by a few inches?

Comment

I won't comment on what's in style or not (because it seems to be the same stuff year in and year out).

But I did want to give a heads-up: I was in Target today and they're starting to put out their winter outerwear. I saw some four-pocket military jackets in grey herringbone, black, and military green, and peacoats in black, navy, and charcoal heather. Quality felt pretty decent - slightly rough to the touch, but not bad otherwise. Material was a 60ish% wool blend that felt thick and substantial. Fit was good on both, though the sleeves on the peacoat were a little long and a little wide for my taste. Both at $65. Not a bad deal if you're looking for something cheap.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: Were the military jackets a wool blend or cotton?

Comment

They were a wool blend, something like 60% wool IIRC. Pretty much the same as the peacoats.

Ben

Comment

Is this the one?

Meron Men Jacket

Comment

Yup, that's it.

Ben

Comment

That's a nice looking jacket!

Comment

I can't promise that everything is in the right place or that I know what any of the pieces are, but I can tell you that I have pinned a lot of stuff directly off of online shopping sites. Anyway, if anyone is interested in seeing what I've been scoping out...

http://pinterest.com/diversification/

EDIT: I've broken everything out into folders for ease of use.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

According to Banana Republic, tweed is in this year. But as far as I'm concerned, tweed is never out. When I saw that on their site, I had a "duh" moment. :-)

Comment

@Alan

So well stated...

Comment

Working...
                              X