Groupon Timex Weekender broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groupon Timex Weekender broken?

Anyone get the Timex Weekender with red/gray strap from the Groupon deal?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-21-timex-weekender-watches?

I got it in the mail yesterday and it is keeping horrible time. I set it at first, then at night I realized it was an hour off so I thought I had set it wrong initially. When I woke up this morning it was about 10 minutes slow. I was under the impression that quartz watches didn't have a break in period. Has anyone ever had these problems before?

ZNot to be rude, but you get what you pay for. Quartz do not have a break in period and should not be losing that much time.

Comment

I bought one, opened the box, put it on, and the hands haven't moved. I'm not sure how you send out a watch that doesn't work, be it a battery issue or not. I contacted Groupon and hopefully this will get resolved. I'll post later if the response is worthwhile.

Comment

@bremersm Yep with the $17 deal its pretty much asking for a refund or throwing it away, but i've never had problems with a Timex before. Good looking watch too.

@Doug I'm starting to wonder if they just wanted to clear out a really old lot of these where they batteries have died/are dying. I'll see if the problem fixes itself today or I will be contacting Groupon as well.

Comment

Curiously enough, they ran a Groupon Goods deal for a watch repair kit, which I also bought

Comment

BYC - I bought a Timex EasyReader a few months back and out of the box, the second hand would get stuck at the 50 second mark every single time. I had to send it back. I have a similar EasyReader and it works great so I think at this price point there are bound to be some duds.

Doug - Did you take out the little plastic piece they might have stuck between the crown and the case of the watch to 'hack' the movement in order to save on battery life?

Comment

@ Vicious, well I'll be dipped in baby shit. I'm a true a-hole. I probably should not have trusted my PBR-addled mind in the morning.

Comment

I bought the watch with the red/grey strap as well, it has been working great thus far...in fact I just ordered a couple NATO straps to go with

Comment

If your watch has problems straight out of the box, then it is almost certainly an issue of faulty manufacturing and quality control. Seems unlikely that the battery would be the issue - Timex has only been selling Weekenders for about 1.5 years, and the batteries should have 2-5 years of life in them. Ask Groupon for your money back. $17 or not, there is no excuse for selling broken watches. I have a cheap Timex Expedition that I've had for 4 years and it's still keeping virtually perfect time on the original battery. There's no reason a cheap quartz watch shouldn't last you 5-10 years.

Ben

Comment

Sounds like I may have a lemon. Thanks for the input guys

Comment

My Groupon Weekender is arriving this week. Now I'm nervous.

Comment

I received mine today, set the time, and it's right on now.

Comment

Doug - on mine there was a little white tab under the time adjust dial that needs to be removed so the dial can be pushed in to allow the hands to move. Took me a few minutes to realize this myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X