Defeating sartorial boredom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defeating sartorial boredom

Back when I was revamping my wardrobe (earlier this year and much of last year) there were times when I would receive three or four packages in a week. It was exciting, going home from work and tearing through boxes, trying on new items. I slowly filled out most of my everyday needs and found myself moving back to my frugal side - don't buy stuff I don't need. Now I've gone a couple of months hardly buying anything, and maybe I'm just going through withdrawal, but I'm kind of bored. I want to buy something new every week, but I know I would be doing it just to feed the addiction, to get that high of coming home to a package.

I certainly don't have one of everything, but I have more than enough of stuff I wear most days. Shirts, shoes, pants, all covered. So what now? I could eBay a bunch of stuff and use the proceeds to buy newer, different stuff, and just keep cycling, but I'd never get my money's worth on anything I buy if I do that. I'm thinking if I foray into some DIY that could re-ignite my enthusiasm in a new way. I'm already trying to set "goals" to keep things interesting - wear a different pair of shoes every of each week, for example.

Anyone in my boat? How do you manage? Just splurge on something every now and then? Find costume parties to go to? Start a menswear blog and hope I get some free stuff?

trash, I think that it's important to be happy with a stable wardrobe. Once you have the basics, accessorize. Ties, tie bars, cufflinks, pocket squares, and socks are relatively expensive. On the more expensive side there are watches.

Here's another thought: you may be ready to experiment with creating outfits. Try pairing new color combinations.

Comment

Socks. You can never have enough. Go with wild colors.

I'm a huge fan of cuff links. Start a collection. That'll keep you occupied for awhile. I know it does me. :-)

Comment

You need to make the hobby more about style and less about purchasing things. It's very easy today, what with online retailing and so forth, to get the reward from purchasing something rather than the end-goal of the hobby.

Think of what you find interesting about menswear and channel some effort (not money!) into that. For example, you mentioned blogging - do you enjoy reading about various perspectives on style? Do you think you would have some interesting perspectives to share? Perhaps you just enjoy writing and a menswear blog would be a good marriage of the two interests.

As far as DIY is concerned, you could make cufflinks, pocket squares, etc. Or you could learn how to perfect all manner of alterations on your wardrobe.

Comment

Wife and I have a serious addiction to shopping. Weekends are usually spent at the mall buying shoes and clothes. Most of the time, it's stuff that we don't even wear lol.

About three to four months ago, she stumbled upon Antonio Maurizis that were on clearance cheap. She went around the Tri State area to to the different stores to buy up all the stock to flip on Ebay. Ever since then, that's what we've been doing during our weekends. It feeds the addiction and makes money at the same time. Since we started I've actually cut down on the superfluous purchases as I don't have the "need" to just purchase something for the heck of it.

Comment

I buy stuff and just return it. Yep. Hahaha. At places where I can easily return things: Nordstrom, Gap, Banana Republic, etc. etc. It feels good to get money "back"

The other day I bought a couple of trench coats because I saw posts on here about them, and XS is hard to come by. What in the world do I need a trench coat for in San Diego?

So asked the sales associate at American Eagle too, hahaha.

Comment

@runners n jeans If you don't want your trench coats (or anything in size XS, really), you could give 'em to me.

Comment

runners and jeans, which AE in san diego did you find the trench coat at?

Comment

There are always new things to find. If you think you have all your basics, maybe start going with some trendier things if you can afford it. I know that we are advised to stay away from some of the trendier things on this site but if you can afford it then go with it. As long as it isn't too far out there, I bet you'll find someone on ebay to buy it. Maybe try variations on those basics. I also agree with what other people have said, accessorize it up!

Comment

@trash: Set a goal to attend The Sartorialist Dinner in Florence (no, not in SC!) next year.

Comment

Reno your kitchen...that will eat up a lot of time! But I know the feeling, I buy cheap things now (like $1 cufflinks) just so I can get some things in the mail from time to time, and they add a bit of different colour so it's not a complete waste.

I was in the process of building a knife block for my random knives(I ordered 2 japanese steel ones made in japan...omg they are better than that soft german steel)

http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/2005/09/17/knife-block-copy/

going to make 2 and stain them differently to see what looks better.

And there'a always home renos

eg.

Then it's decide what to do with the 50" plasma, does it go on the wall+ 4 ft floating shelf underneath for 360, amp, dreamcast, saturn etc. Or get a full cabinet with shelves and the works for storage. Office needs a new desk and shelves in at least, possibly make it into a semi hobby/craft room with an entire table built into the wall.

Comment

@shadow, total digression here but the difference between german and japanese steel is incredible. I have 2 Shun by Ken Onion knives that are unreal. Crazy sharp and stay that way for months before needing really any sharpening. My old Wusthofs go untouched now.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

On the DIY point, I'd love to learn to do some simple alterations on my clothing. My wife has a very nice sewing machine, so I think I've already got the most expensive piece of equipment I would need. Anyone know of a good beginner (like, totally ignorant) instructional resource (book, website, etc.)?

Comment

@Jessy: Oh I already had returned those items, sorry.

@jackbauer24: I do all my purchasing online because XS is rarely stocked in the store.

Comment

Shomas: youtube! they show how you can make a cheap ill fitting shirt look fitted etc with rather simple steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X