Short Blazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Blazers

Hello all. In need of some help. I am 5"5' and I like my blazers to be cut a little shorter...to where I can cuff the bottom of it. I had ordered the JCREW harrinbone blazer in 36S and it was slightly too long. I know I can get a bespoke suit (which I plan on trying from Indochino soon), but does anyone know where off the rack suits are a little shorter?

Thanks,

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
    -Maximus

On the cheap side, you can try H&M. It depends on the blazer, but the one I own is on the short side.

Comment

+1 Jessy's post - I own several H&M blazers (34-36R) and they are all cut shorter than blazers of similar sizing in other brands.

Comment

I really want to try H&M. Problem is, is that I live in SC and the closest H&M is 3 hours away...I wish they would do online shopping.

-Maximus

Comment

Cuff the... bottom of it? Are you talking about the sleeves? Forgive my confusion. Just want to make sure I understand what you're describing.

Take the jacket to some local tailors and price out alterations. At 5'5 you are going to have a difficult time finding off-the-rack suits (or sport coats, etc.) that fit you well.

Comment

I like to where i can cuff it in my hands. Most say the knuckles should hit the bottom, but I like mine a little shorter.

-Maximus

Comment

Ahhhh. How much shorter do you imagine? If it's ~1 inch or so, that can usually be accomplished by a tailor.

What's your budget?

Comment

1 inch is usually about what needs to be done...and I have been looking at Indochino a lot. Budget is about 130-150 for a blazer and 300-350 for a suit (willing to spend 450ish for 3 piece i.e. indochino). I was looking at the jcrew thompson suit that Joe listed a few weeks ago. I wanted the navy but the 30-30 pants were gone. I am not sure if I will have the same issue with that suit. I don't mind spending money on alterations, so I think majority of the time I will just have to get things altered.

-Maximus

Comment

Apparently J.Crew advises:
                  <blockquote>

Short sizes recommended for men 5'7"-5'10".
                  </blockquote>

That really leaves someone like you in the lurch, especially if you prefer a shorter jacket anyway. Brands like Topman have some short (think Brooks Brothers Black Fleece) blazers and sport coats, but I have no experience with them or their quality. The problem with such short cropped jackets off the rack is that they are often catering to a very trendy and/or juvenile look. They may or may not work on you.

Re: Indochino, if you can afford the expense now you could order a suit. It is unlikely that they will get it right the first time... you may have to have one of the pieces remade, or at the least you will have to have alterations. That is part of the made-to-measure process. However, once you have it dialed in you will have a suit that you can benchmark against others.

Comment

Well My issue is I have broad shouders and a short torso for my size. So 36S fits me right on the money on shoulders and chest. But sleeves and jacket length are always too long. I have heard mixed reviews on indochino. I have looked at them for quite some time, just never pulled the trigger. Another issue is the blazer price...unreal. I can buy a blazer for 125-150 and have it altered for 50 which is about 100 less than indo.

It makes me laugh when they say half of America is obese yet I can never find a small in anything that legit fits me...

-Maximus

Comment

@Lib:
                      <blockquote>

The problem with such short cropped jackets off the rack is that they are often catering to a very trendy and/or juvenile look. They may or may not work on you.</blockquote>

Trendy? Juvenile? What on earth do you mean???

Comment

^ lol

@Eyerman

The guys at Thick As Thieves (http://www.thickasthievesla.com/) cut their jackets shorter unless the order specifies Traditional fit (I'm going from memory, so they may use a word other than Traditional). They are similar to Indochino in that they do things over the internet. Based on discussions I've seen at Style Forum, it seems that they may allow for more customization of their suits than Indochino does. The way I understand it, they will do pretty much anything you ask, save making a suit over their set maximum chest size (not a concern for you).

I want to say their suits fall right around the $500 mark although I haven't checked in a little bit. They seem to be pretty well respected at Style Forum which is where I heard about them and where all this info I'm sharing with you is coming from.

I'm not sure if they have a similar remake policy or anything, so I'd check on that too.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that Urban Outfitters sometimes carries shorter jacket lengths. Can't comment on the quality (it probably varies since I think they outsource their pieces to a number of manufacturers). Additionally, you could probably take a look at Zappos, ASOS, Piperlime and Nordstrom online. They all have free shipping both ways with no minimums and guaranteed return policies (double check the return policies before buying though as I'm again going off of memory).

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

LOL! Well even with the short from JCrew it still covered my whole butt. And i like a little butt showing...its how I get the ladies! HA!

@diversification

I will check them out. I have heard of them but never looked at them.

-Maximus

Comment

@Eyerman

I'm 5'5" too, so I'm with you on being tough to find sizes. haha.

I've had good luck with Banana Republic 36S blazers. They usually sell that size only online, but I was fortunate enough to stumble across one in stores a while back (return maybe?). Anyway, I loved the fit, got it, and have since purchased another online that worked out equally well.

I still have had to shorten the sleeves; but the fit was great elsewhere.

If you're interested, I heard (elsewhere on this site - thanks, Dappered!) that BR is doing 40% one item on Wednesdays in October. I got both of mine during past 40% off sales.

Good luck, and let me know if you find other good alternatives!

Comment

@swaMpeD Thank you kind sir! I will def. try it out. I really just want a sportscoat or two for now, then will look into suits!

Thanks

-Maximus

Comment

Working...
                              X