Disillusioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disillusioned

After lurking and reading this site and forum for a long time I decided to put on my big boy pants and go search for my first blazer. Since I had done my research and read through countless posts I expected some tailoring to be involved to get the perfect fit. Now since I am a complete amateur to dressing a bit more presentable than just jeans and t shirts I went to the only place I could think that has plenty of blazers, my local big chain stores in the mall. I found out I am a 44R but a salesman that was helping me determine my size told me that he was not sure if the jacket could be tailored enough in the midsection without compromising the actual build of the jacket. He pretty much said there is too big of a difference between my shoulder width and my midsection. I went to two more major retailers on my way home and got similar opinions. Does this mean that I will be stuck with a jacket that fits like a circus tent below the shoulders? I tried on several jackets from traditional to slim fits. I don't know if it's relevant but I were a waist size 32 pant.

Naw, you'll be able to find something for sure. I understand the frustration though, I've been searching for my first blazer for several months as well. It's possible that they didn't give you the right size, so try on a 42. Also, pictures of some jackets you try would help the rest of us I'm sure.

Comment

Keep at it! I would find whatever fits best off the rack then take that to the tailor. From what you're saying, you'll need something really slim.

Comment

You'll get it. I dunno where you were shopping but many places don't know what they're doing when determining size (and also there's variation depending upon the fit of the jacket, even within brands). I'd just try looking for something with a trimmer fit and a bigger drop, and also make sure to try both 44 and 42 wherever possible.

Comment

I have the same specs as you. I have had a lot of luck thrifting sportcoats.

Comment

I agree with n0rm; give the thrift stores some viewings, you'll never know what you'll find. And nicholas is absolutely right--a good tailor should help you out on a slightly big jacket. Don't give up!

Comment

Hmm... I work retail and that is not a size combination that I see often, or at all. I can see why you are having trouble. Try all different brands and maybe you'll find one that will fit you and stick with that brand.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. It didn't even cross my mind to take pictures, I guess I was too focused on finding something that fit my shoulders. Some of the 42R seemed to fit but the gentleman helping me said that the 44 was an even better fit because ideally you want a straight drop from the shoulder of the jacket. When wearing the size 42 the belly of my shoulder was slightly past the seam, very slightly. I am going to give some of the thrift stores a second chance. The only problem is that living in such a hot climate (Houston, TX) there isn't a great selection to pick from. I guess not a lot of people own/ wear blazers when its already blazing outside (we went 100+ days in a row with the temperature being 100+ degrees a couple of summers ago).

Comment

Working...
                X