Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Scooter
    replied

I wore a black, mostly unlined sport coat to a very informal wedding this weekend with dark blue jeans, a plaid shirt, and desert boots. Most people were in chinos, but only one guy outside the wedding party had a jacket so I didn't feel under-dressed.

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

I've gone to a lot of spring/fall southern country weddings and it seems like most people don't really care to dress up. One wedding I went to was outdoors: All men under 40 had slacks and a shirt (no tie or jacket). Women wore clubbing outfits with mini/micro skirts. I assume that was also their Sunday best. Groomsmen and bridesmaids were in traditional attire. I had an olive suit on and was way overdressed compared to the rest of the guests so I ended up taking the jacket off during the reception because I was uncomfortable.

I agree about taking the blazer and the grenadine tie is a nice call. I'm one of the people that think a man should always bring a jacket (suit or blazer) to a wedding unless the invite specifies otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• chern
    replied

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow..and am bringing a black jacket juuuuust in case. Apparently it's an extremely casual wedding, as I only plan on wearing some Weejuns, gray chinos and probably a casual slim fit plaid shirt. My cousin is the best man and said he's wearing linen pants and a linen shirt so I think I'll be ok.

Leave a comment:

• givemetwenty
    replied

The grenadine tie is a great call. I'm going to have to steal that this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

#1. This is a wedding, you wear a jacket. Cardigans are for Sunday afternoons at home. Normally, I would say only wear a suit, but it seems that this wedding is a bit more casual...?

#2. Black jacket is fine, the whole outfit is fine. The only thing I would suggest you change is the tie. Make it navy, burgundy or dark green and you'll have a killer combo. If you want people to really sit up and notice you, wear a grenadine tie in any of those colors.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• TheMeInTeam
    replied

Something that doesn't involve a blazer? How about a suit? If the bride wants a more casual wedding than that, she's not actually doing the men a favor, because suits are God's gift to men so that we don't have to think about what to wear to weddings.

My other thought is that J&M cap toe oxfords seem like possibly too formal a shoe for slacks and a blazer, but you're in a better position to judge that.

Leave a comment:

• scott_louie
    replied

Maybe my follow up question is, "What outfit can I wear that doesn't involve a blazer?" A merino cardigan? Too casual?

Leave a comment:

• bremersm
    replied

I don't think that a black blazer is "un-wedding-like"

Leave a comment:

• scott_louie
    started a topic Black blazer at wedding?

Black blazer at wedding?

Hi,

Is a black blazer appropriate at a wedding?

I'm wearing black Johnston & Murphy Melton cap toe oxfords (favorite shoes ever), grey flannel pants, white shirt and black necktie.

Black blazer looks great, but is it too un-wedding-like? What other outerwear would be appropriate

Working...
X