Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day of Fall. Need to Stock up on Sweaters

Hey Board,

What are your recommendations for slim-fit, thin v-neck sweaters at a decent price? I need to stock up (5 or more) in various colors. Thanks!

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=28660

Banana Republic is having a 40% off fall sale right now. I havent purchased any of these yet, anyone have any input on the quality of their Silk/ cotton/ cashmere v-neck sweaters?

Comment

I find the BR blend sweaters to run large. They're definitely not fitted.

Comment

Uniqlo has basic sweaters for £13 ($21). There are more expensive ones available for £30 or so ($50). The lambswool ones seem to be better constructed. The merino ones are sort of thin; you can see through the sweater if you hold it up. They sell over the phone, or through SuddenLee.

Charles Tyrwhitt might be a decent option if you have a promotional code.

Comment

JC Penney has some cotton/cashmere blends in their new JCP line.

Comment

I've heard that Costco has some decent Calvin Klein ones? Also Target has decent ones for ~$20. I personally have a bunch from various stores, my favorite so far would be from Express

Comment

Gonna echo Teej - I'm planning to check out the JCP sweaters soon. They look nice!

Comment

They've also got some merino wool ones in the claiborne line.

Comment

nathos, I'm not sure I agree - at least not completely. Some of BR's stuff can be overly baggy/long, but I have a few really well-fitting items from there as well, and I've seen many posts with Joe sporting some type of sweater from them that I would describe as reasonably fitted. They're just very inconsistent, in my experience.

Also, I'd check out sizing down at places like Lands' End and Target, or just going to Express. They actually have reasonably high-quality (tend not to pill, for example) merino v-necks that are quite fitted and thin enough to layer. If you wait for a sale and stack discounts you can get them for probably $35 a pop, in a variety of basic colors (light gray, charcoal, black, navy, burgundy, etc).

Comment

nathos, I'm not sure I agree - at least not completely. Some of BR's stuff can be overly baggy/long, but I have a few really well-fitting items from there as well, and I've seen many posts with Joe sporting some type of sweater from them that I would describe as reasonably fitted. They're just very inconsistent, in my experience.

Also, I'd check out sizing down at places like Lands' End and Target, or just going to Express. They actually have reasonably high-quality (tend not to pill, for example) merino v-necks that are quite fitted and thin enough to layer. If you wait for a sale and stack discounts you can get them for probably $35 a pop, in a variety of basic colors (light gray, charcoal, black, navy, burgundy, etc).

Comment

I all suggest Express. I personally have found their Merino V-Neck sweaters are better quality than most of the mall retailers. Also, they are slim and fitted. Like piseleh said, they don't pill. I have several that have lasted 2-3 seasons and still look decent.

I tend to size down in wool sweaters as they are prone to stretching. So I usually get XS, but the length is a bit short (I'm 5'11"). However, express now sells a fitted v-neck sweater (http://www.express.com/fitted-merino...ow/3/index.pro). The small fits like a XS in the chest and torso, but the length is true to size.

Just be patient and wait. They do Buy 1, Get 1 50% off quite often. Combine that with a spend $90 get $30 off coupon, and its a good price for a quality sweater.

I would stay away for BR sweaters. They are quite baggy and pill really easy. If Express sweaters are too much money, go with Target instead (but size down w/Target.)

Comment

@pitseleh I've had okay fits from their 100% merino wool sweaters, but over the past year every "luxury blend" (cotton/cashmere/silk) sweater I've tried from BR is a baggy mess.

Comment

I tried on this crewneck the other day and liked it a lot.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=289677012

Comment

@travisb...

I picked up two of those costco sweaters this weekend. For $20 they are pretty nice and fit darn well.

Colors available are black, charcoal, a weird medium blue, and a really nice dark purple.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                            X