Atypical college student and I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atypical college student and I need some help

First, a little bit of info about me. I'm 33 and I'm in my senior year of college (no, I haven't been in college for 15 years) and I will also be heading to medical school next August. I am only about a year into redefining my style, however, being that I am a full-time student (and am fortunate enough to not have to work, per se, as I do have 2 kids) I am having a tough time navigating the looking good/put together vs. "Hey Professor, which way to the quad?" My normal "uniform" is either a well fitting polo/sport shirt with either dark straight-legged denim/tailored fit chinos. For shoes, I have a pair of black AE Halsteds (not the sleekest monkstrap, but I picked them up off ebay for $20 shipped in pretty good shape), some Clark's in beeswax, black AE Chesters ( I haven't worn them yet, but I got them for $65 shipped and they are freshly recrafted), brown Cole-Haan captoes, and a pair of khaki Merona canvas sneakers (I picked them up this summer and am looking for something better). I also have two watches, a Citizen Nighthawk w/ a stainless band and a Rolex Datejust w/ the oyster band in stainless (it was a wedding gift from my wife and I never wear it to school, I dunno, it just doesn't feel right)

I have picked up several nice merino wool sweaters from BR and scored two blazers (a khaki linen/cotton BR and dark pincord JCREW Ludlow) that I am going to try to work in when it gets cooler (I'm in S FL, so that may never happen).

On the days that I wear a polo and chinos/jeans, I feel like something is missing but I can't quite figure out what it is. I'm not really into the bracelet thing, but I feel like I need something. I am going to pick up a Timex Weekender, just to mix it up as far as watches go. Other than that, I am at a loss. I just really need some fresh ideas and being a relative rookie, I figured I would look to some much more sartorially inclined than myself. Any ideas? And sorry for the long-winded, rambling post.

Countryside Man of Letters

Thanks for posting and good luck in your endeavors! Really the number one thing in dressing well is fit. So make sure everything you own fits well. Aside from that, I like to think that the default every guy should put on in the morning is a button down. That may be the extra something but obviously that may not be for you.

Really it's all about your style. We're just a bunch of losers on a clothing forum and we can't tell you how you should dress. Check out style blogs that just have photos and see what you like and try to emulate that. Do what works for you and all will be well!

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

First, I would not call anyone here a loser. I have learned quite a bit since I started reading these forums and Dappered. I have definitely been paying much closer attention to how my clothes fit over the last year or so. I'd say I wear button ups 2-3 days a week. I typically wear them tucked in (I haven't found any that are the right length to wear untucked yet), with the sleeves rolled up (as posted here on dappered). These shirts are typically patterns (gingham, plaid, etc). I'm not really asking anyone to tell me how I should dress, just some ideas on how to bring it all together.

I have read a few posts regarding how a young man in college could up their style considerably compared to his peers, but I'm not sure if that would translate to my situation or not (which is really the main issue I'm having).

Comment

I tend to think of the progression of being well dressed is as follows:

1.) Learning how to match colors.

2.) Learning how to match patterns

3.) Learning how to match textures.

I think the whole idea of fitment can be tossed into any of those steps. I can wear the most well tailored shirt, but if it is a madras with glen plaid pants, then it just looks like someone who has money to buy nice clothes but has no idea how to pair them.

I would look towards fashion magazines along with other style forums just to see how things are paired up. And do not mimic them down to the last bit, but use it as a reference point with your own wardrobe.

Remember, ultimately you should impart your own little personal touch to the mix, so if you can, avoid copying something. Because you are going to have that one day when you show up to an event and another dude happens to have read the same article as you and is wearing pretty much the same thing.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

Yeah, I'm not skilled enough at this point to wear more than one pattern. I pretty much keep everything else toned down if I'm wearing a plaid shirt (jeans/olive or grey chinos, etc.)

Comment

Some linen button up shirts seem in order for your wardrobe/location. But you might be moving somewhere more temperate for med school, so I wouldn't go overboard on tropical attire.

Comment

I'm actually moving to Iowa for med school next year, so that'll be interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X