Help with brown wingtip boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with brown wingtip boots?

Been searching through some of last years posts on wingtip boots and trying to decide between the sebago hamilton (can get for 123) and florsheim hawley (can get for 100).

Also taking any other suggestions. Thanks!

Dappered links to each

hamilton: http://dappered.com/2011/10/wingtip-...bago-hamilton/

hawley: http://dappered.com/2011/09/wingtip-...rsheim-hawley/

What's your budget?

Comment

Between those two, Hawley hands down. It's Goodyear welted and very well made. Where did you find it for $100?

Comment

@ Gabe: Was trying to stay under $150.

@ Juan: Best friend's girlfriend gets employee discount at store that carries them, so not universally available at that price unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Agree with Juan, but I also really like the Florisheim Gaffney as well.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

What about the Stafford wingtip boot? It's a similar style to both of them and only costs $60. I have a pair and love them.

You can spend that extra $40-60 on something else you need or save it.

Comment

@wsupjs - If he can get the Hawley boot for only $40 more, it's well worth it. The leather on The Hawley is much better and will last a lot longer. Also, the Hawley is Goodyear welted versus glued on the Stafford boot. They may look similar but quality wise, the Hawley is much better.

Comment

The Stafford boot is back ordered until October 4th online! They must be pretty popular. $40 extra for a goodyear welt is a smart move IMHO.

Comment

I like the way the sebago looks better, but the florsheim is better made.

I'm also on the hunt for a distressed/casual looking wingtip to wear with jeans. Any other suggestions? (Doesn't have to be a boot, but must be goodyear welted)

Comment

I can not speak to the Sebagos, but I would recommend that you try on the Floresheim versions before you commit. The Gaffney looks alright, but it is one of the worst purchases I have made in the past few years. They are well crafted, but very chunky. The toe is ill-concieved (very bulbous and lacks any sense of refinement). The Gaffneys simply can't be worn with anything other than jeans. Even then, the cognac ones stick out like a sore thumb. The Hamiltons are a bit better, but they still wear like Cadillacs when you are probably looking for something a bit sleeker and more versatile.

Goodyear welting is not something I would pay that much more on a wingtip boot unless I were looking up in the Alden range.

Comment

Interesting PN...

I think it probably depends on what it will be worn mostly with. The Gaffney is not a suit boot as you pointed out, but I'm not sure what OP is looking for...

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

The Aldo Blake might fit your needs, they go on sale every once in a while.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/mr-b...09295-blake/28

Comment

Aldo blake = big mac chunky

Comment

^I agree, Ive purchased the Blakes before as returned them as soon as I got them in the mail. They are disgustingly clunky.

Comment

@Juan, that's fair. I'm not arguing the Florsheim's aren't made with better materials or consturction. My logic is he's buying them for winter beaters, the Staffords are tough to beat. Goodyear welted is a nice feature, but not something I worry about on beater boots. Plus in my opinion welt isn't worth paying almost double for compared to another compitent shoe.

Regardless, since he has access to stores that carry them, I'd try each on. That's the only way he'll find out what truly works best for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X