Looking for a good slim fit shirt brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good slim fit shirt brand

Hey everyone, I've been searching for a good, relatively inexpensive brand for slim fit dress shirts (I'm 5'7", about 150 lbs, so pretty slim). I've tried brands like Calvin Klein, Geoffrey Beene, Arrow, Apt. 9, and Van Heusen. Most of the so-called "Slim fit" shirts still have sleeves that are pretty baggy on me. The only brand that the sleeves were small enough was Apt. 9, but they don't have any shirts that have a wide-spread or cut-away collar (I like to wear the Windsor knot). I've seen Calvin Klein has Extreme Slim Fit, does anyone have experience with that particular style? I've also found this site, and I might order a couple shirts, but I wanted to see if anyone here has experience ordering from them and how the shirts fit: http://www.tmlewin.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tmlusd-Site/en_US/Home-Show

Ideally I think I would want to try Thomas Pink, but that is way outside my price range right now. Anyway, I'm just looking for some insight, so thanks in advance!

I'm a huge fan of the Hugh and Crye shirting (hughandcrye.com).

Comment

I would recommend being patient and waiting for one of the annual sales with Brooks Brothers or Charles Tyrwhitt. You might like the occasional Express shirt since they come in ESF too, but I really like BB for their quality and array of sizing options. $40 a shirt on sale is very reasonable to aim for.

Comment

Oh, and be sure to buy a plain white shirt then a light blue shirt first!!

Comment

I've got one CK Extreme Slim fit. Blue/green pencil stripe with semi spread collar. It is indeed slim, but the thing I found odd is that instead of a single side seam coming down from the armpit, it's got two spaced about 6" apart. It's the only shirt I own with that trait. Quality is acceptable for what I paid ($30). For reference, I'm 6' 180lb and bought a 15 1/2" neck, so what's slim on me may not be on you.

If you can, try pillaging Nordstrom Rack. It can be a goldmine.

Comment

I am quite happy with the CT ESF shirts I just got in the mail. $38.50 apiece w/ shipping after a 4 for $200 sale and a livingsocial discount. The quality's quite nice - I like the puppytooth shirting fabric more than the poplin or end on end (though I kept them because they're lightweight and my city is hot) and I imagine the twill is also quite nice. Their sky herringbone shirt (got it in slim fit) also has a nice material. Not near Thomas Pink quality and a step down from BB but I think CT shirts are better than Banana Republic and more stylish/better looking than TM Lewin's. Haven't worn any of J Crew's dress shirts but I imagine they might be better in quality (albeit for 2x the price).

Comment

I second nicholas's picks the BB ESF fits me like a glove off the rack CT shirts are ridiculously high quality when you can get them for $40 a shirt.

@gabe Did you get that $20 H&C credit I sent your way?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys! Very helpful, I will probably check out CT and BB when they have some big sales going on, and coupons are always a good thing. I will probably also check out the CK Extreme Slim fit, since it is cheaper still. I'm still in college, so my budget is probably a lot tighter than most. I'll be posting around some more, this seems like an outstanding resource for a guy like me.

Comment

Jeff, how many do you need? I found out that one white and one light blue was all I really needed in college. The rest were pretty casual shirts. If that's the case, if you save up a bit you can get two on sale from CT or something for around 70-80. The benefit here is that you'll have two shirts that fit well and are made well. I know in college it's tempting to get 5 shirts for that price but oftentimes they'll be/look really cheap or feel cheap and you won't want to wear them after you graduate (trust me, I recently donated 20+lbs of clothes after graduating).

Regardless, take care of the shirts - wash them on cold and then hang dry them.

Comment

I am trying to get a few, trying to build my wardrobe for after graduation (which will be happening within the next year) and expanding my wardrobe for my current job. During the summer I can usually get away with just a nice golf polo and slacks (luckily I play golf a lot so I have dozens of these), but in the winter a button up dress shirt is nice. I'm definitely going to lean towards the lighter colors like you mentioned, because as I'm sure you know they match well with just about anything. I'll probably only buy a couple at a time though, and space it out with sales and whatnot. Thanksgiving and Christmas should have some good things, so I'll be patient and see what comes up.

Comment

I also agree with the Tyrwhitt and BB suggestions, both will be much nicer than CK. The CT 4 for $200 deal is great and in addition the the BB site, I would also check Mr Porter during their sales too. I picked up a BB ESF button down for $16 (!) last January during their 70% off sale. I honestly would avoid Thomas Pink. Pink is way overpriced and not worth the $$$ IMO unless really marked down. For the same price as Pink you could get Hilditch & Key which is a much nicer shirt. I particularly like H&K stripe or check patterns because they pattern match the sleeves to the shoulder, which obviously must be done by hand. H&K shirts are on sale in July and December when you can get them for 50-55GBP (approx. $80-90). Thomas Pink black label shirts are very nice but you're better off going MTM once you're in that price range.

Comment

Another brand to keep in mind is Paul Smith. I've found their "Slim Fit" is more like an extra-slim. During a Mr Porter sale the staple white and blue shirts can often be had for $50 or so.

http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Clothin...l_Smith_London

Comment

I really like Banana's slim fit but I am not a very slim guy. I like the arms and the waist on them. I would go for the tailored slim fit if you are a slim guy. 40% off on Wednesday with a coupon.

Comment

I have to dissent from the group on the question of Brooks Brothers' ESF shirts. I have two and I'm not that impressed. They are comfortable, but they aren't that slim. They are still somewhat baggy in the lower-torso area and the arms - while not billowy - are way roomier than I would expect in something called "extra slim." I'm not in possession of tiny little stick arms, nor am I carrying huge guns; I think I'm more or less average, arms-wise. For reference, I'm 5'10", 180. I prefer shirts with 33" arms and 16.5" necks. OTR, I've been happiest with Bonobos slim fit, but obviously, everybody's experience will be different.

Comment

A helpful sizing guide by brand: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-dress-shirts-best-sellers?origin=leftnav

I'm 5'8", 151 lbs, fit, so I'm probably somewhat close in size to you. My tailor and I pegged my ideal shirt measurements as 42" in the chest and 39" in the waist. If you look at that chart, you can see that few if any brands/cuts, even the ESFs, fit me the way I'd like.

I once measured (but have since forgotten) the BB ESF and the CT ESF and recall them being not perfect for me but close enough that they were acceptable and that tailoring wouldn't be worth the expense. Uniqlo is another good option, particularly if cost is a concern: their S oxfords measure 42"/40" OTR. (My tailor and I actually based my ideal fit off a Uniqlo oxford.)

Comment

Working...
                              X