Curse you, elbow patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curse you, elbow patches

They're everywhere. I finally see a jacket I like, "oh this looks perfect," and then lo and behold there are two brown... things staring back at me.

A knit blazer at Zara fit me like a glove OTR. Patch pockets, faux-horn buttons, lapels just wide enough, long enough to buck the 'short' trend, very high armholes. And brown suede elbow patches.

But it wasn't just Zara. They were on shirts in other stores. On pretty much every 'modern' sport coat in department stores. On cardigans and sweaters.

Who is responsible for this?

To quote Marge: "you've ruined a perfectly good jacket!"

I don't care for elbow patches and I don't understand the recent trend of them being all over the place.

They look like patches. On the elbows. Do I need that? They're not particularly enjoyable to look at that I know of.

Comment

I like them. They remind me of my earlier fox hunting days.

Comment

But they are in way more places then fox hunting-esque attire. On a tweed blazer they might seem like they are in place (which I still don't really care to wear), but what's with all the modern sweaters, blazers, and casual jackets putting them on? Even pleather sometimes.

Comment

@Cannon Worse, I have a plaid flannel shirt with elbow patches. They weren't visible on the website.

Comment

I haven't seen them THAT much. I'm shopping discount retailers mostly, and they tend to have huge stocks of urban-influenced apparel which is a lot more problematic for me than suede is. Actually, there's only 1 item in my closet with elbow patches, which I see more as a deficiency than anything!

Comment

Elbow patches are a repair measure, a way to fix areas that have worn out. Elbow patches on new garments are the jacket equivalent of pre-distressed jeans

Comment

I'm starting to like them, but I think they're also becoming too trendy.

Comment

Correction, Lib, TWO perfectly good jackets!

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

@ChrisW - For some reason that didn't even occur to me. But that is true, elbow patches were for work jackets when the elbows tore and had holes, from what I understand.

Comment

I am hoping no one buys the elbow patch sweater at BR and it goes on clearance. I really like it.

Comment

I think they are still great for casual wear. 10 years ago you couldn't find anything with patches unless you sewed them on yourself!

Comment

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/merino/PRDOVR~95531/95531.jsp

In Navy. I want.

Comment

Working...
                          X