Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

@90Schilling: those looks great! It looks like you haven't polished them either. The "defect" will probably be masked a bit when you polish them up.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

Considering those are seconds, you got away with murder. I've seen firsts in much worse condition. Allen Edmonds quality assurance is among the worst in the industry. Walmart throw-aways incur a much more robust QA procedure. That being said, the customer service team will try to work with you, but will shrug their shoulders at the mention of low quality seconds. An exact quote from them: "seconds are what they are," which indicates to me that there is literally no defined criteria that differentiates between a second, and a complete disaster. The company policy is "your mileage may vary."

Leave a comment:

• ReachEO
    replied

@90Shilling I returned a pair of Stands twice after purchasing the first pair during the Nordstrom's sale. I had a similar "defect". Mine were worse than yours the first time, and about the same the second time. The first pair had gnarled broguing, some of the holes were not punched out, and there were random black marks like the ones you have. I returned them in-store and had another pair shipped out. The second pair also had the black marks/stains on the leather by the laces. It looked almost as if it was scrap leather they tried to use. It was very minor, but I know I would always be annoyed by it, so I returned them again and finally got a pair I was satisfied with.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• itsm3json
    replied

Awesome, if the shoe fits great then you have a winner

- i'm thinking of ordering a pair of walnut dalton boots...

Leave a comment:

• 90Shilling
    replied

@itsm3json - the fit is great, and i was hoping somebody would confirm that the defect would be masked after some normal wear/use.

@margotron - Ny understanding is that usually with factory seconds the defect should not be blatantly (or even benignly) obvious. As far as how I scored them, I called the shoe bank that itsm3json posted and asked if they had any factory seconds available. The walnut strand was $199, with free shipping. They would also pay for return shipping, so I thought it was a win-win to give it a shot.

@LosRockets - Thanks for the feedback, glad to know that these aren't out of the norm. And I was in the same boat, no interest in getting walnut Strands for the past 2-3 years until the past couple of months, when I finally fell in love.

Leave a comment:

• itsm3json
    replied

@margotron - call the shoe bank and tell them what shoe & size your looking for

shoe bank #: 262-284-7158 I think the strands are <$250ish??

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

Keep them! Walnut seconds usually look a little bit like that. Strangely I've been able to resist the strands until I saw your pics... now I really want a pair!

Leave a comment:

• Margotron
    replied

Excuse me if I am mistaken, but isn't the point that factory seconds have minor defects? That's why they're seconds. I think those a pretty damn fine looking pair for seconds.

How much did they set you back and how do you get ahold of seconds on the sale?

Leave a comment:

• itsm3json
    replied

shilling - I think that if the fit is great then those are minor issues that you have spotted. Once you start to break them in there will be creases & any minor issues such as a darkened crease would be masked by a few coats of polish.

I pair of strands that I received awhile ago had one of the medallions not centered on the cap so I sent those back - and they were firsts

Leave a comment:

• 90Shilling
    replied

Hi all, I recently pulled the trigger on factory seconds for the AE walnut strand during the rediscover america sale, and it appears that i might have won the "spot the defect" game... Thought it would make the most sense to add to this thread instead of starting another one with likely the same title.

Would like to get your opinion on whether this defect is worth exchanging for another pair. I'm honestly on the fence. The defect is on the outside of the left shoe, and it is a darkened horizontal crease right above the broguing, as well as some light wrinkles in the leather panel.

Zoomed out view of left shoe (defect is present but not immediately obvious)

Zoomed in view of the right shoe (with NO defects)

Zoomed in view of the left shoe (with defect)

What do y'all think? Keep or exchange? This is my first time trying AE factory seconds, so I'm not sure what is acceptable. From searching the forum, I know that some other folks have had some pretty obvious defects.

Leave a comment:

• shallyboy
    replied

Thanks for the responses guys! You all rock. I'll consider myself lucky, that was the only noticeable imperfection on them.

Again, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

As stated above, almost all AE shoes have this on the inside welt. Not a defect.

If that's the only "problem" you see, you're VERY lucky. I've looked through dozens of pairs of AE shoes lately, and they have all kinds of issues:

- wrinkled/distressed leather where it should be smooth (very common, especially on the sides)

- serious bowing out near the ankle

- the attached broguing/wingtip jagged edges that aren't glued down properly

- mismatched colors of shoes (I had a pair that were WAY off).

IMO, Allen Edmonds quality control is pretty awful from the sample size I've seen. The customers service is great and you can exchange them, but for $220 shoes on sale you're pretty much getting what you pay for.

I can't really say anything bad about the company because I've managed to get what I need, but it took a LOT of time and exchanges. I'm not exactly a picky customer, either, especially compared to styleforum types.

Leave a comment:

• fiestaplatypus
    replied

90Shilling is spot on. This is not a defect.

Leave a comment:

• 90Shilling
    replied

shallyboy - from my experience, that is not a defect. That "nick" is present on almost every Allen Edmonds oxford and is part of the construction. Sometimes it is a slightly protruding and sometimes it is slightly recessed. I have seen multiple styles and pairs (Strand, 5th avenue, Park avenue, Vernon, etc...) that all have that detail, so I wouldn't consider it a defect unless the size of it is larger than usual.

as far as hiding the defect, you could use some heel/sole dressing potentially to take care of it, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X