Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The belt is from Target. About the shoes: I have a pair of tan suede loafers, so the Elgins cover a different base for me. But in the abstract I might prefer the tan. I do like the broguing on the Elgin, though.

Comment

I think I might prefer the cap to the wingtip for the McTavish, but am sold on the color, is all! That said, I like the color of the Elgin, too, so I probably won't be complaining when I eventually think I want them too!

Comment

Yeah, to be honest, I want the McTavishes pretty bad. The rough collection is in my aesthetic wheelhouse. But I'm all tapped out for a while. Maybe a Christmas present to myself...

Comment

mad patterns today

My cocktail videos >

Comment

im a sucker for medium to light blue ginghams.

Comment

Shirt: Brooks Brothers pink mini-gingham from their recent 50% off sale

Sport Coat: Uniqlo from their recent sale. It's the Premium Linen Slim Fit. It's cropped more than my liking, but I'll take it. Somehow Suddenlee got it for $19.90, according to the receipt in the box...It's a puzzler I'm trying to figure out with them.

Pants: thrifted - Gap

Shoes: My black AE McAllister shoes off of eBay for $31. They are MINT!

Since we're always talking about shoulders fitting on jackets, here's a close-up:

Comment

bruschetta - Did you get this same Uniqlo sport coat? Did you keep it?

Comment

@bb - how do you like your elgins since you've had them for a bit?

- I have a pair of walnut strands coming in shortly, but I'm wondering if the elgins would be a better shoe to wear casually compared to the strands? however, i've read so many things about the strands being so "verstile".

Comment

I think the Strand can be dressed down to some extent, but I don't think the Elgin can be dressed up much, at least not to work environment levels. The light colored stitching and laces coupled with the contrasting sole edge make it too casual in my opinion. I'd honestly go for shoes with open lacing (e.g. the Player's Shoe) for casual wear, but the Elgin has a great (albeit very "specific") look.

Comment

@Nicholas : I grabbed that same khaki sport coat from Uniqlo on sale also. It's funny, I was just about to place a suddenlee order for both a linen shirt and that jacket, and received an email like 5 minutes later showing they were both on sale! (saved me something like $75)

It's not the nicest jacket in the world, but for the money who cares. I love how unstructured shoulders fit me since I have such narrow ones.

Comment

As far as all the talk about McTavish vs Strand vs Elgin - I LOVE the color of the McTavish. I have strands in dark brown which I wear fairly often, and some walnut Mcallisters which I feel are a little too flashy.

I'm just having a hard time justifying $200 more for a beater pair of wingtip type shoes. Any suggestions for something in that tan/grey/rough-ish looking color that might work? Not a big fan of florsheim's stuff.

Comment

trash - Well stated.

zero - I like it. It complements my extensive sport coat purchases lately. =) I think I'll give my brother the medium, but I could also hem the sleeves and have a second one that is longer in the body, and be in navy.

Comment

nicholascrawford, yes, I still have that Uniqlo blazer. I tailored it to perfection, but I've never worn it out of the house because I am self conscious about the shortness. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

I'll probably give the blazer away to someone on here. Thank you for reminding me about it.

Comment

You are a traditionalist to the core! Represent the motherland!

I'd like to try it with jeans - I bet that would be a pretty mint look. In the pic above, I keep thinking those thrifted pants are just too roomy to wear with a slim fitting jacket like I did.

Comment

Itsm3jsn -- I'm still really happy with them. I wear mostly casual suits (cotton, linen, seersucker) and sport coats with jeans or chinos in my workplace, and since I'm a professor I get to be a bit eccentric anyway, so it fits my needs really well. The Strands are great, and sooner or later I want a pair, but I've got a pair of brown AE PA's for my suits on the days I "dress up," and these will be my casual shoes for jeans and a tweed jacket. For my aesthetic, the Strands aren't ideal for jeans, because they're a bit too formal. Like I said, that's just the way I see it -- I understand for many folks the Strands are perfect for jeans and chinos, and that is great -- but in my eyes they go best with wool slacks. It seems too "old guy"-ish to try to make dressy shoes stretch to casual shoes. The contrast stitching and sole on the Elgins makes them clearly casual.

Comment

Working...
                                X